KTM Owners Forum banner

How to register an off road MX type bike on a daytime MOT

85K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  baillie996 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is how to register an off-road MX-type bike on a daytime MOT; it gets your bike legally on the road

1) Get a certificate of newness ( for an age-related plate)If you want it on an age-related plate then get a certificate of newness (for KTM you just call up www.ktm.co.uk on 01280 709500 and ask the person that answers the phone that you want a certificate of newness; they will then give you their email address; email them with the frame & engine No, make and model of the bike; and your address. It's free and they usually post it within a couple of days

2) Get it on a daytime MOT

You can get a Daytime MOT from any bike MOT station. Remove any lights unless they are fully working for a daytime MOT all you need is a reflector at the back of the bike for the day/road legal tyres and a horn ( get the £10 mega horn from Halfords) horn) that’s it; clearly, your bike needs to be road worthy i.e. no oil leaks; good brakes etc., just book it in and get your MOT!

If you want a full MOT you will need tail light and brake might operated by both front and rear levers; front light with main beam and dip.

3) Insurance
Get insurance on the frame number (Carol Nash will do this for two weeks; you then have to give them the plate No when registered; make sure you can get to the DVLA within 2 weeks of insuring it or they will cancel your policy.

4) The DVLA
Go on the internet and download a V55/5 from the DVA UK website or you can get one over the phone. When you get this fill it in with the obvious boxes but make sure you put it down as an 'enduro bike' you don't need to fill out all the emissions info/power to weight etc, and you don’t need to fill out things to do with the MSVA test.

Just fill out your details; bike info make, colour, cc’s, etc.

go to your local DVLA without the bike first but with all your paperwork ( inc passport and utility bill) you pay them £88ish which includes your tax for a year

when you are there on your first visit you will need to book the bike in for an inspection

go back on your inspection date; they measure seat height and ground clearance - that's all, and will tell you on the day of inspection its registration Number and give you a tax disc

5) Give the registration number to your insurance company
And get a cool plate made up for your new bike

6) Your Logbook
Wait about 1 week and your log book will come through; just check the frame and engine number are correct.

7) Wheelie like a nutter on your new road bike - Happy Days!!

Thanks to Beer for this contribution!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Added by Pec Gaz

cost is £96 pounds for reg fee + 1 years tax

also it'll help to have the reciept for the bike brand new then you don't have to fill out a customs and excise form for vat.Or one from a shop showing purchase of bike in uk second hand,they took this for me smr ;)

I'll also scan a v55 so people can copy as this filled in correct helps greatly :D

And a ktm fax for the certificate of newness

#4 ·
This is how to register an off road MX type bike on a daytime MOT; it get’s your bike legally on the road

1) Get a certificate of newness ( for an age related plate)If you want it on an age related plate then get a certificate of newness (for KTM you just call up www.ktm.co.uk on 01280 709500 and ask the person that anwers the phone that you want a certificate of newness; they will will then give you there email address ; email them with the frame & engine No, make and model of bike; and your address. Its free and they usually post it within a couple of days

2) Get it on a daytime MOT

You can get a Daytime MOT from any bike MOT station. Remove any lights unless they are fully working for a daytime MOT all you need is a reflector at the back of the bike for the day / road legal tyres and a horn ( get the £10 mega horn from Halfords) horn) that’s it; clearly your bike need to be road worthy i.e. no oil leaks; good brakes etc etc just book it in and get your MOT!

If you want a full MOT you will need tail light and brake might operated by both front and rear levers; front light with main beam and dip.

3) Insurance
Get insurance on the frame number (Carol Nash will do this for two weeks; you then have to give them the plate No when registered; make sure you can get to the DVLA within 2 weeks of insuring it or they will cancel your policy.

4) The DVLA
Go on the internet and download a V55/5 from the www.dvla.gov.uk there website or you can get one over the phone. When you get this fill it in with the obvious boxes but make sure you put it down as a 'enduro bike' you don't need to fill out all the emmssions info / power to weight etc etc, you don’t need to fill out things to do with the MSVA test.

Just fill out your details; bike info make, colour, cc’s etc.

go to your local DVLA without the bike first but with all your paperwork ( inc passport and utility bill) you pay them £88ish which includes your tax for a year

when you are there on your first visit you will need to book the bike in for a inspection

go back on your inspection date; they measure seat height and ground clearance - thats all; and will tell you on the day of inspection its registration Number and give you a tax disc

5) Give the registration number to your insurance company
And get a cool plate made up for your new bike

6) Your Log book
wait about 1 week and your log book will come through; just check the frame and engine number are correct.

7) Wheelie like a nutter on your new road bike - Happy Days!!:burnout:

Thanks to Beer for this contribution!!!
Why don't you explain about getting the reg/number plate for the bike? And why would you take it for an mot before its even been told that it can go on the road . Don't this myself in the passed and the bike didn't get a plate so I couldn't getting it on the road but I had full MOT which was useless..

#9 ·
This is an interesting point as I'm about to purchase a 22 model RC390 and there will be a Supersport (53+bhp) model available but KTM will not reveal whether it will be road registered legal according to my dealer
Early days I appreciate as 4 months to go but heads up is best
Daytime MOT's were around a long time ago and would be intrigued to know if they still exist
Cheers all (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.