KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So public transport with social distancing will only be able to take 10% of its capacity, everyone is going to use cars so gridlock, the governments answer to this is throw money at walking and cycling.
For a start this means loads more cycles wobbling along the road making it difficult for cars and trucks to get past adding to traffic problems.
Maybe which ever smart arse came up with this idea is not aware of the road and pavement layout, you have a pedestrian walking on the pavement and a cyclist on the road passing at less than 2 metres add the fact that the cyclist will be puffing and panting like an old steam train and the pedestrian if unfit will be doing the same that has to be almost as good for passing the virus about as sticking your tongues down each others throat's.
Encouraging motorbikes or mopeds would have been a better idea, change the licence requirements so people with a car licence can ride a rev and go scooter/moped like it used to be. There was talk of some kind of electric bikes but I think only around towns/cities.

Even better idea is create a new network of green lanes along side all roads and the government pay 80% of the cost of an enduro bike each ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's all BS anyway, there is no scientific evidence for the "2M rule" (and that came from an ex W.H.O bloke). You could stand by the side of someone, shoulder to shoulder and not breath on them.
But you are right, loads more cyclists will mean travelling towns / city's will be crap

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
So public transport with social distancing will only be able to take 10% of its capacity, everyone is going to use cars so gridlock, the governments answer to this is throw money at walking and cycling.
For a start this means loads more cycles wobbling along the road making it difficult for cars and trucks to get past adding to traffic problems.
Maybe which ever smart arse came up with this idea is not aware of the road and pavement layout, you have a pedestrian walking on the pavement and a cyclist on the road passing at less than 2 metres add the fact that the cyclist will be puffing and panting like an old steam train and the pedestrian if unfit will be doing the same that has to be almost as good for passing the virus about as sticking your tongues down each others throat's.
Encouraging motorbikes or mopeds would have been a better idea, change the licence requirements so people with a car licence can ride a rev and go scooter/moped like it used to be. There was talk of some kind of electric bikes but I think only around towns/cities.

Even better idea is create a new network of green lanes along side all roads and the government pay 80% of the cost of an enduro bike each ;)
We don't want all those fukwits sharing the byways with us Lee..😮.. quite fancy 80% towards a new bike though

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sadiq Khans future planning for
London didn’t include M/cycles! The last three Mayors have been in denial of their benefits, they have been slow to supply parking and decent security and are still treating bike riders as hooligans, it’s all very well cycling a few miles but what if you
Come in from outside London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Around here and in many other areas the pavements are taken up with irresponsibly parked cars, often not room to walk past without going on to the road, pushchairs and wheelchairs don't stand a chance it stinks, should be like trucks if you have not got a proper place to park it you can not have it.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Worse still, they are considering legalising electric scooters.
We saw a few in Singapore and they are lethal. Way too fast and stealthy.
We already have mobility scooters that go twice the speed of normal pedestrian strolling and they are bad enough. Add in the cyclists and double push chairs and the last place I want to be is a pavement.

That said, I have no issue with cyclists on the pavement out in the sticks where it is rare to meet a pedestrian as it’s much safer for everyone.

While I am at it, why do runners/joggers/shufflers have to run in the road rather than on an empty pavement? Or on busy rural roads with not even a verge?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sadiq Khans future planning for
London didn’t include M/cycles! The last three Mayors have been in denial of their benefits, they have been slow to supply parking and decent security and are still treating bike riders as hooligans, it’s all very well cycling a few miles but what if you
Come in from outside London.
Usual bollox, Oxfordshire County Council has drawn up plans for the future of transport, bikes did get mentioned, they mentioned they are ridden dangerously by criminals and have lots of accidents - I may be paraphrasing, but I kid you not the only points they made were about people riding recklessly and accidents.

Same shit different day, in the last decade my avergae commute has probably worked out at well over 100 miles a day, I live in Oxfordshire and have worked in Slough, Maidenhead, London, Cardiff, Manchester, Colchester, Southampton - even at hus drug induced best (Worst?) these would be a tough commute by cycle for Lance Armstrong.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
At least BMF pressure has made them retract that statement and issue a new version.
It doesn’t change their mindset though although allegedly one person’s opinion but why did it get approved and published?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
This is just the start i reckon, oxford cc are only the start of things to come, that woman in oxcc is leading the way...evil cow, if you work in oxford but live in a village no way you can get to work on a bus, or even park motorbikes are only way ...stupid bitch grrrrrr

·
Registered
203 Posts
We don't want all those fukwits sharing the byways with us Lee.... quite fancy 80% towards a new bike though
Death knell for trail riding in National Parks

They won’t want motorcycles sharing their newly renovated trails

Dales has spent £212,000 on an 11 mile trail in Swaledale last year - part of it on a vehicular trail

Trail riders are seen as the problem, whereas cyclists are to be encouraged

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Even better idea is create a new network of green lanes along side all roads and the government pay 80% of the cost of an enduro bike each ;)"

Was very tongue in cheek, more chance of platting snot!

·
Registered
31 Posts
What’s needed is cycle lanes, if you want people to cycle to work.
Easier said than done.
Electric scooters work well in other countries but again you need cycle lanes or it would be carnage in the city.

The scooters have speed limiters but people buy the Chinese imports that do 25mph and then wonder why nobody wants scooters on the roads.
I’m not sure we have the room in the UK for these motorised devices, they work great in places like Amsterdam where there are wide, dedicated cycle lanes.
Having ridden a bike there, l found everything worked great and no idiots weaving through the traffic or jumping red lights.
It’s just seen as part of life there, and no need to show off.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Worse still, they are considering legalising electric scooters.
We saw a few in Singapore and they are lethal.
I would really like one of these, some have a range of 20 miles or more. Would be great for a short commute or nip to the shops instead of taking the car.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
The idea is great and they look fun but can you imagine the pavement carnage? They look much more agile than bikes but more nickable as well.

If cycling is to be expanded so much we need compulsory helmets and registration/third party insurance for everyone, including kids. If there is a cycle lane, you can’t use the road...that’ll pee off the mamils and pseudo Tour riders.

·
Registered
518 Posts
What are the licence requirements for mopeds these days? Used to be slap an L plate on a Puch Maxi and go.

Over here they have to do a long course that costs about £600 and requires a written and road test. My eldest did it a few years ago and now my younger daughter's just about to start. Just took the Vespa out for an airing after a morning on gravel on the 1190. Felt like I was going backwards.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The 'solution' from TfL is to reintroduce the congestion charge and increase it, while at the same time closing traffic lanes and whole roads to powered traffic to make room for 'social distancing' for cycling and walking, while at the same time cutting bus and train services and reducing the capacity of those that are still running, while encouraging folk to go back to work.
I trust that's clear!

·
Registered
518 Posts
How very Swedish. When I first got sentenced to Sweden back in the nineties, I used to say it was basically England 20 years ago. Sounds like the UK's regressing to become Sweden. You poor bastards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts