KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a shock today when I contacted my local dealer to ask about activating my heated seat. £42 they want! I got the old ‘we do a diagnostic check and install any software updates and it takes about half an hour’. I wouldn’t mind but my bike was only in for its first service 500 miles ago so there can’t be many updates since then.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are smart people at all latitudes. Sorry for you, a new dealer would be better.

Inviato dal mio VOG-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The problem is that any business has to cover its overheads and someone coming in for a simple software update / activation is a pain in the arse. It might only take a few minutes but they still have to pay the technician / insurance etc and what if they have a problem and then have to spend hours sorting it out?

To be honest £42 is not going to break the bank and the alternative would be to charge other customers more for service / repair work.

I can see that if you bought the bike new from them then maybe they should do it for free and even more so if they supplied the seat.
I used to get wound up with this sort of thing but found out that getting pissed off about having to pay unexpected charges just doubles down on the situation - tap your card, smile, walk away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Smile and walk away? Oh no I couldn't do that. I would have to vent my spleen. Yes dealers have to make a profit but this is taking the piss. £20 is more than enough to cover what is literally a few minutes work.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Smile and walk away? Oh no I couldn't do that. I would have to vent my spleen. Yes dealers have to make a profit but this is taking the piss. £20 is more than enough to cover what is literally a few minutes work.
I should imagine that if they had a minimum charge it would be double your 20 quid plus vat.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I should imagine that if they had a minimum charge it would be double your 20 quid plus vat.
I can see both sides, if dealer supplied the seat I would expect them to enable it for free, maybe if you had bought the bike new from them then picked up the seat perhaps they could do it for you at a time convenient for them, I have had such favours in the past where I have been asked to pop in at end of the day and they would squeeze in my little job if they can, or to call at 4pm to see if they can fit me in etc.

The issue is I suspect dealers try to line up a full days work for each tech, if the then allow punters to pop in all day long asking for a free "2 minute job" the scheduled work would not be done.

Nothing in business is a 2 minute job, at best the guy on the counter has to go and find a tech, interrupt what he is in the middle of doing, he then has to wander out to car park with the dealer tool and plug it in, do the job and check it works, then wander back and pick up where he left off....

...probably 15 minutes down on time.

The business has to pay for the premises, heating, power, workshop fitting, mechanics wages - but they also need to keep punters happy, and that is the balance each dealer has to try and get right.

Did you phone around and ask other dealers how much they would want?

My guess is they all have a 1/2 hour minimum and all charge at least £50 +VAT - so unlikely to find anyone willing to do it for under £30.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I called them before buying and asked if I bought the seat, would they activate it. They said yes. So they'll be getting my business.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Today i was quoted £80 to connect my satnav wire to the accessory wire in the headlight,i had already put the spade connectors on the wires and put the wire into the headlight,told them to swivel obviously,i will retrieve the wire poke it under the tank and connect it to the other accessory wires under the seat for FREE.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Today i was quoted £80 to connect my satnav wire to the accessory wire in the headlight,i had already put the spade connectors on the wires and put the wire into the headlight,told them to swivel obviously,i will retrieve the wire poke it under the tank and connect it to the other accessory wires under the seat for FREE.
Did you read Gingers post? Its a complete explanation for their charges. As a business owner myself I can see where they are coming from. I guess, if they had been doing that for you at the same time as a service or other work the charge would have been somewhat less. Does seem steep though, but more polite than refusing you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can break the headlight adjuster going into the headlight to find the acc2 wires,so this morning i took off the TFT retrieved my sat nav wire,threaded it under the tank to the other acc2 wires under the pillion seat,the whole job took me about 40 mins and saved me £80 so i am doubly happy,companies that charge sums like that are not going to have my money and do not deserve any custom.The same principle as a pub charging £4.50 a pint and wetherspoons down the road charging £2.19,i could not give a shit if the £4,50 pub went bust.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You can break the headlight adjuster going into the headlight to find the acc2 wires,so this morning i took off the TFT retrieved my sat nav wire,threaded it under the tank to the other acc2 wires under the pillion seat,the whole job took me about 40 mins and saved me £80 so i am doubly happy,companies that charge sums like that are not going to have my money and do not deserve any custom.The same principle as a pub charging £4.50 a pint and wetherspoons down the road charging £2.19,i could not give a shit if the £4,50 pub went bust.
You also get that nice warm glow knowing you’ve done it yourself. 😀 Apart from the 1st service no one works on my bikes.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The same principle as a pub charging £4.50 a pint and wetherspoons down the road charging £2.19,i could not give a shit if the £4,50 pub went bust.
But your not paying just for the beer, your renting you bar stool, paying for the ambience.

I love wetherspoons, it sucks in all the tight wads, scuzz, twats, slags and pikeys leaving me to enjoy a pint in a nice pub, surrounded by a better class of pisshead and fairer maidens.

Well worth the extra quid a pint.

If its just about money why not buy cheap booze at supermarket rather than get ripped off in wetherspoons? Guessing you like their clientele?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts