KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YO!
im new to this forum, so firstly like to say how helpful it is! ive tried searchin for this particular thing to do wit my lights n havent come across anyfin.

so...

I just bought a 2001 ktm exc 520 supermoto road converted...
basically wen my bike is running the lights flicker and wen i rev it they should get brighter n more constant if the revs are constant too cos of the generater rite?... but they dont, they carry on flickering n changes brightness etc reguardless of the revs, as if the connections are lose but ive checked all that,

could it be the regulater not givin enough current? or maybe even the battery is naff and its tryin to get too much charge.

any help would be ace.

Nick

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
Is it an EXC?
Lights dont work off the battery, they are AC straight from the generator.

Could be a regulator fault or a missing/knackered bulb in the sidelight or speedo light.

Chop off any unused light holders behind the headlight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i whipped the casing off whilst changin oil today and it seems like one of the coils has burnt out on the generator BUT wen researching pics it seems old exc have one black coil n the new ones are all orange.

indicators work ok ( wen i check- i dont have them on ya see atm anyway ) so surely the generator is workin fine?

is there a way to check the regulater? the back light does exactly the same, flickering, diff brightnes reguardless of the revs.

thanx again dude, look forward to a reply

its totaly confusin me, my heads in a pickle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ordered a new regulater which will be here tmz so hopefully this will fix it, the guy on the phone seemed to think it will either be this or a bad earth and as checked all the connections tht eliminates the earth....hopefully.

·
Registered
306 Posts
might be a long shot...but i had a similar prob a while back, check that your rear brake switch wire is not earthing out intermittently on ya zorst pipe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will check tht tmz dude, the regulater dint really do anyfin, made lights brighter which is good but still doin the same flickerin! not fun#! will post n let ya no how get on!

cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts