KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading and looking at diy o2 eliminators for the RC8 but have a question for the electricians out there.

I had surging on my GSXR1000K8 and the same solution ref eliminating the o2 sensor was given. However the fix was much simpler in that only one of the four wires on the connector had to be cut. The sensor heater wires stayed connected to not have the FI error but one of the signal wires was cut so the ECU got no signal and reverted to the inbuilt map (which is what you want). Everything else stayed connected as normal.

Can anyone explain why the same would not work in this case as the cable and connectors seem to be the same (ie two o2 heater wires and two wires for the signal)

It would seem easier to cut one of the signal wires close to the sensor itself and just tape it up without having to worry about adding/removing plugs with resistors etc.

However there is nothing as dangerous as a little knowledge so i await enlightenment :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi,

Yes your logic sounds right if the ecu is looking for a load (ie: the heaters) then leaving the heaters connected would be the same as putting a resistive load across the ecu output fooling the ecu into thinking that the O2 sensors are still connected. Cutting the signal wire will then make the ecu think that the feedback signal is 0 and so not apply any corrrection.

The only thing to watch is if the o2 eliminators actually short the ecu input down to ground rather than just leave them floating. You could try cutting the o2 signal wire and seeing if the EFi light comes on.

Or even better if someone on the forum has an o2 eliminator perhaps they can check it to see if the signal wire is floating or taken low/high?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C'mon guys

Can someone post a close up pic of an 02 eliminator to see if the signal wires require a resistor or not.
If not, can anyone confirm by looking at theirs if only two wires are crossed with a resistor?

Once i can confirm this i will get the wire cutters out and give the bike a little 'snip' and let you know if it works.

I'm having real issues with shit running below 4000 rpms now and its getting worse. I want to leave the bike looking as standard as possible for the dealer service thus i just want to cut the signal wires and tape up discreetly and leave everything looking standard.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I am not 100% sure but I think that a resistor is necessary.
I will post a pic in a while...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thats just what i needed. It looks like both sets of wires need a resistor although i don't understand why the signal wire requires it.

Does anyone know if there is an extension to the workshop manual that gives electrical values for the wiring circuits? (ie whats the reading from the signal circuit for the o2 loop)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts