KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help i have hare and hound on sunday (west linton) and i am supposed to be wearing headcam for yellowhattv to raise funds for this years ISDE

i recently bought a 450 exc-r (1st ktm) and noticed shortly afterwards that there was to much oil in the engine in fact it was full to the filler cap??????????? it wasent like that when i bought it! so i decided to change the engine and gear oil and fill to correct levels. when i emptyed the engine oil i found there was twice as much oil than there should of been? and when i emptyed the gear oil there was nearly nothing there??

so i topped up both engine and gear oil to the correct levels and went a run, came back an hour later and checked the oil and to my suprise :eek:there was far to much oil in the engine and not enough in the gearbox. so i phoned ktm dealer and they had never came across this problem????

my question is, what could cause this problem? and how can i fix it before sunday?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
you've got oil transfer mate,not good
some of the 08's had it,'KTM's fix is to locktite the oil seals
the dealer might never have had this problem, but i bet they've heard about it
you're gona need a lot of time'n'tools to fix it before sunday
good luck mate
hopefully Kevnyorks'll be along to tell you your next move........................

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
open the casings up so its all one oil and put 1.4ltrs init..
wasn't Knighter's spare 2008 530 like that?

did anyone ever get to split the cases to see what'd been done?

cheers
tools

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
all his cases are openened out, seen loads on the bench been done as they seal fails under extreme pressure even to date
are there any disadvantages to doing this for us normalspeed riders?
or is it allgood apart from the initial cost and hassle?
obviously the gearbox would then get a more contaminated oil feed,but a much more reliable oil system
how many hours do you reckon we're looking at?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
if your oils transfering in to engine, id do the seal, if it happens again, bust it all open into one.

are there any disadvantages to doing this for us normalspeed riders?
or is it allgood apart from the initial cost and hassle?
obviously the gearbox would then get a more contaminated oil feed,but a much more reliable oil system
how many hours do you reckon we're looking at?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all replies i got dealer to fit new £8 seal for £123 including labour ect and managed to complete west linton h&h with no worries. saying that iam not confident this problem will not return ad at 123 quid a time i think it is a real option to open it up, but how exatly would i do this??? and would it be reliable?

headcam and vid of west linton on youtube (search "west linton hare& hound") and you will find it. Full dvd availible at yellowhattv.com and ALL profits go to the ISDE fund at only a fiver its cheaper than a packet of fags!

SUPPORT THE SPORT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts