KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ive just bought an 09 excf250 six days and the previous owner sent it to eurotech and had new heavier springs etc set up to his size and weight which was 6ft something and around 15 stone I’d guess, I’m only 5ft 5 and 11 stone at best, I’ve tried dropping forks through and winding preload off a good bit but it’s done nothing really and I’m still barely on tip toes so want to take it somewhere properly in north west.
It has a 63-65-68 260 75 shock spring on that I can see and I know that’s way too much for me!
Can anyone recommend anywhere to take it near Manchester but don’t mind a run out for right tuner.

·
Registered
443 Posts
try mark at Rss. he can lower the forks and shock, you can also get a lower seat foam or chop some out yourself.
you'll want correct springs too otherwise itll ping off every rock and root

·
Registered
572 Posts
Im not sure on the size of spring, but I'm the same weight as you and been fine with whatever the standard spring is on both my bikes.

I have however lowered my bike. I used a a Zeta lowing spacer in the shock, which is 10mm thick, so with the shock/wheel travel ratio of 1:3 it gives 30mm lowering, I then raised the forks through the clamps about 25mm, and it's helped alot. I'm a touch taller than you at about 5'6-5'7 but only got little legs, so was struggling a bit, bit alot better now. My bike is a '16 350f Sixdays, but I've also done the same spacer job on my dad's '09 250f and it's helped him to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not sure on the size of spring, but I'm the same weight as you and been fine with whatever the standard spring is on both my bikes.

I have however lowered my bike. I used a a Zeta lowing spacer in the shock, which is 10mm thick, so with the shock/wheel travel ratio of 1:3 it gives 30mm lowering, I then raised the forks through the clamps about 25mm, and it's helped alot. I'm a touch taller than you at about 5'6-5'7 but only got little legs, so was struggling a bit, bit alot better now. My bike is a '16 350f Sixdays, but I've also done the same spacer job on my dad's '09 250f and it's helped him to.
Thanks for the replies lads, with this having a 75 rear spring on I imagine the front will be a heavier rider rated set of springs on too so I’m going to swap them all out, I’m thinking 4.0 on front and a 66 rear which I think is next size below standard as standard ktm suspension is rated for riders at 75-85kg.
Hoping the sag from that will help drop the bike a tiny bit when I sit on it too.
Going to order one of those spacer blocks too and I reckon I should be spot on then, do I need any special tools to fit it pal or can I press it myself and fit it?

·
Registered
572 Posts

Have a read throughy post from a year or so ago, there's a link there to a video or two of the process, and some pics of the special tool you need. My brother managed to do his on a press in his work, but he's a machinist so has all sort of braces and holding tools.

Yours is the same year as my dad's so it'll be the 50mm one you need.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would start in this order.
OEM springs. (should be perfect for 11stone rider + gear)
lower seat. (either KTM or remove some of the foam)
5mm spacer in the shock.
drop the forks so all 3 lines are visible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From this

To this

chopped the seat down this morning but may have taken a tad too much lol, I’ve got access to a spare one if I need to go back but feel a lot more comfortable sat on the bike apart from less padding.
Ordered the rear shock spacer last night so that should be here in a week or so and gonna order the correct springs tonight as its still got no sag in the bike when I get on it and I’ve wound everything off to comfortable settings according to ktm manual😂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts