KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 18 tpi needs new top end. New oil pump, fuel filter. Oil tanks also now just started leaking a tad. Thought I'd been a lucky one.
Rear shock prob should be serviced also. Had since new and looked after it and has all the add-ons I wanted.

Cant decide wether to put the above cost towards a new '22 and chop it in now or get it done and see what so special about the '23's.

Really happy with the bike and had zero problems from day one, but the above is going to be a fair chunk :-/

Thoughts ? Does anyone else px before cost starts to mount up ?

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
If its how you want it, just refresh it - unless you want that 'new bike' feeling (until you first use it ;-) ..... )

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
I do freshen ups at 100 hours. Grease everything again. Sharpen foot pegs. New levers (keep old as spares). All fluids changed. New grips. Seat cover. Throttle cable/s. Any bearings that are rough or tired. Top end possibly. Consider all new chain, sprockets and sliders

You have one of those vegan bikes so oil pump and piston kit may well be wise but significant expense.

If you were looking at other brand 22s then it might be worth changing. If ktm then you’d be mad. The 18 will still sell well if tidy and the 22 just has new stickers. 23 is supposed to be the new update model I believe so if you hold out till then you might get adjustable TBI and 6500 forks stock. Maybe. Could be new stickers again and list price be over £10k.

Even Sherco have just upped prices.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Are you able to / have you already had your ECU flashed with the latest maps and/or your suspension tweaked?

That appears to be all the differences from one to the other?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be KTM as will move all my bits over. FR/BK disk protection, rad guards, 6500's etc... All adds up.
Chain sprockets fairly recent. Prob do throttle as sticky again after 1 race.
With rumblings of big changes maybe a bit daft.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you able to / have you already had your ECU flashed with the latest maps and/or your suspension tweaked?

That appears to be all the differences from one to the other?
I had the race map I think was called fairly soon after getting.
Rear had a bladder and fronts have 6500's in now.

Whats got me thinking is the starter is slow as fck compared to the 22's. Maybe its got worse over time. On orig plug.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
100hr stuff then… new top end, strip the bike and grease everything, strip the starter drive and service it plus clean the motor, new brushes and bushes. Spend the savings on something else. Job done.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Have a look at the 2 bushings first if the starter is a problem. Not like the old set up, but they dont like being dry.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If there is little change from your bike to a 2022 & your bike has been reliable myself I would spend a couple of ££££ on your old bike as it’s not going to loose much more cash in a year & go for a 2023 if it’s due big changes, I honesty can say i always look at my local road bike dealers web sites, bike trader & eBay the used bike market is dead nothing moving.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
The same shitty bushes on the bendix are still being used and still need replacing, they're only a quid or so, so every 40-50 hours should keep them going. If you don't replace them they wear out and then the casings get damaged.... not too bad if it's the outer case but if it's the inner one...you'll need to come up with a solution instead of a new case!

Reactions: Rob James and Miner

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not looked at the bushes and its on 100hrs :-/ Hope thats not the case! I'll add to the list.
See TokyoOffroad does XRP ones and suggests a compound/Loctite if loose fit.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The same shitty bushes on the bendix are still being used and still need replacing, they're only a quid or so, so every 40-50 hours should keep them going. If you don't replace them they wear out and then the casings get damaged.... not too bad if it's the outer case but if it's the inner one...you'll need to come up with a solution instead of a new case!
Guess this would work for them all, just need to measure it up for the new cases.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
AFAIK, he is an engineer of some sort. Judging by his youtube channel and his shop, he is a very good one. His presentation skills could do with some zap though ;-) ........

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Atleast he's not like that american bellend, can't even remember his frikkin name.

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
All this starter shit makes me think new bike now. I’ve not thought about starters since getting the beta. KTM simply can’t make one that lasts!

1 - 20 of 170 Posts