KTM Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Mine is at 210 hours, never really missed a beat and has had nothing except the newer ratio Bendix and crown wheel and four new bushes every 30-40 hours. Not sure how long the motor brushes or armature will last though.

I'm not sure about aftermarket bushes myself. I'd rather just maintain the originals. That way I know the whole system is getting looked at and cleaned/serviced at regular intervals.

With the 17 onwards, it's utter shite that they've effectively used the same shit parts but made it much harder to access. Dicks.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Bushes aside, l think that the rest of the starter system is more robust than it used to be ...... there certainly aren't the same amount of reported failures.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
they do,it's in the 4strokes...

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So where can I get that spiffy tool he used to get the bushes out with? And once purchased will I ever bloody use it again 🤣

·
Registered
678 Posts
Some of my thoughts with a shit load of riding and not much messing with starters.

the 17+ bikes are a massive upgrade

10mm bit is exactly the job for getting the bushes out unless they are fucked and then go up a size.

bronze bushes are the most sensible replacement.

hardly anyone knows to change the bushings

Mark - Tokyo Offroad guy - knows his shit, and he’s also a really genuine guy. Over the last three/four years I’ve asked him a number of questions and always had a reply. On one occasion I asked him where he got a particularly unique tool from, his response was ‘I machined it, if you need to borrow it I’m happy to send it to you’

quality response to say he knew I’m half the world away.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
I put the bronze bushes in mine...

Reactions: Miner and smilervx

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Naa i got mine from Desert Rose they were selling them at the time...

what's the lube for (not watched the vid)? If it's to go on the teeth then make sure you don't get any into the bendix as it can make them stick

Reactions: smilervx

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
As a pre emptive (together with greasing chassis bearings) l put a small dob of lucas heavy duty grease in the bush's. I didnt spray everything as, unlike the oem pre 17 system, there should be no water in there aside from minimal occasional condensation.

It would be good to know what condition yours are in after a 100hrs - crack it open Smiler!

·
Registered
693 Posts
So the 18 tpi needs new top end. New oil pump, fuel filter. Oil tanks also now just started leaking a tad. Thought I'd been a lucky one.
Rear shock prob should be serviced also. Had since new and looked after it and has all the add-ons I wanted.

Cant decide wether to put the above cost towards a new '22 and chop it in now or get it done and see what so special about the '23's.

Really happy with the bike and had zero problems from day one, but the above is going to be a fair chunk :-/

Thoughts ? Does anyone else px before cost starts to mount up ?
As the '23s will have a big upgrade, but still wont arrive for at least 8 months, I'd order one and spend what it takes to make the '18 top notch again and enjoy riding it until the new bike arrives.

(Actually thats what I'm doing with my 2020 :) )

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Can anyone explain the Tokyo brass ones. In the video he says the small nick in one should face up, to let the oil in.
Is that the lube he sprays on the teeth later? The starter internals isn't filled with oil it it? :-/

21 - 40 of 170 Posts