KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Have just this week noticed a coolant leak from where the bottom hose connects to the radiator.
I've cleaned it all off and run the engine again as I thought it might just need the jubilee clip tightening but on closer inspection the coolant seems to be escaping from the end face of the pipe...a ring of dots which presumably are the reinforcement strands inside the pipe.
So, of course the question is....has anyone else had this happen? Does it just mean a new hose? The bike's only done about 4.5k miles
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
One side of my 990's rad had that happen. It's damage on the inner face of the hose I think. Could be a sharp edge on the pipe so check for that when replacing. It's probably safe to run for a little while though.

If you do the job yourself then remember these engines are tricky to bleed/burb properly.
Need to get the front wheel up high.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the pipe being fairly accessible I had only got as far as considering that it should be an easy change.

However...thanks to your comment about the bleeding I've since read up on it and understand your comment about raising the front of the bike. The manual is saying 0.5m

That's going to be easier said than done !

Thanks again for the 'heads-up' on it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you have a rear paddock stand it’s fairly easy. Rear wheel in paddock stand, lock front brake with a strap around the lever and lift the front up using the wheel and put a platform step or similar under the raised wheel

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
For my 990 I tried a few times using my Abba stand and removing the rear wheel. I'm not sure how well that does it as I had others issues at the time. Maybe without a leaking head gasket it would have self bled eventually but I measured the front wheel when on the stand and it was short of the specified 50 cm.

I then built a small ramp in my garage consisting of 4 breeze blocks and a half plank. This got the front wheel to 50 cm and sure enough it filled perfectly. That method is fine for a small bike like a 990 Superduke but I still needed a helper to steady the bike while I filled & bled it... but when my 1190 Adv needs a coolant change it I'm not sure what I'll do.
I think I'll probably beg a load of pallets and build something very solid like one guy on the Superduke forum did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts