KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bang on about service costs, but I've not found anything recent and saw the other service cost thread so.....

Just been torn a huge one by my not so neighbourhood stealer. Quoted £850 for the big service. From the forum searches I did, I saw figures of around £500. Although that was a couple of years back.

Has anyone got any recent quotes/costs to compare?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My 1190 came to close to £700 a few months back, but I also asked them to change the Fuel Filters whilst they had it all apart, the filter set was about £80 and it probably added £30 of labour, so would of certainly weighed in well under £600 for standard service.

It can vary depending on if any tappets are out of spec, I am guessing this could make a £100+ difference, but I have been told they rarely need adjusting, so @£500 is probably a reasonable / average cost depending where you live.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any chance you could send me their details Simon. I'm trying to get something organised in the next week or two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 1190 came to close to £700 a few months back, but I also asked them to change the Fuel Filters whilst they had it all apart, the filter set was about £80 and it probably added £30 of labour, so would of certainly weighed in well under £600 for standard service.

It can vary depending on if any tappets are out of spec, I am guessing this could make a £100+ difference, but I have been told they rarely need adjusting, so @£500 is probably a reasonable / average cost depending where you live.
Ta. £850 was just for the inspection before any remediation work. Even made sure to notify me that there would be extra labour cost involved if I had crash bars attached. I've never paid that effin much for a car service and I've got a pretty nice sports car....

Where was your service done not Ginge?

·
Registered
371 Posts
The entire job is actually not very difficult to do yourself and chances are, by the time you get there, most bikes are probably out of warranty anyway.

BTW, when I did mine, only one valve was out of spec. A few quid for a new shim. If I'd been charged £100+ for that I would've, might've, should have lost my shit. So I do it myself.

While you're ripping things apart you find all sorts that'll need fixing. For example, my radiator fan housing was cracked in half. Fixed with a sheet of carbon and a bit of epoxy. And then it snowballs, and you start servicing stuff that you think just needs it. By the end of it, you have a machine that you can trust to take you into God-knows-where and back out again. And if it does all go tits up in the back of beyond, you can probably fix it.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Premier quoted me £500 last year for the 18K service.
As the warranty has expired I had it by a local independent in the end for £350. It would have been more if any valves needed reshimming, but they didn't.

The 36K one will be due this year. Haven't ridden the Superduke as much so the 1190 has taken the mileage.
I'll do some things myself, like service the brake calipres and flush the hydraulic fluids. And from the feel of the transmission I reckon the chain sliders and cush rubbers might want replacing. Easy stuff like that I'll do myself and just get the workshop to do the engine work. Makes a big difference to the bill.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm with RubyMurry on this... I'll do mine myself. That way I can record what the clearances are (not just a tick on a sheet) and take time & care over the job.
It's a daunting job at first but once you've done it once there's nothing much to it. I did my 990 last year, and I do it on my 400 single at every oil change as it's really easy on that bike.

For my 1190 I might even set up a camera to take a time lapse video, so I can show that it actually happened should I want to sell it later.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Who do you use now? My 1290 will be due its first valve service in a few months. My normal mechanic has semi retired and only does minor servicing on jap stuff now and Fowlups aren't having it. Got another local bike shop but don't know what the mechanic is like there so looking for someone that can be trusted to do a decent job and knows their way around KTM's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts