·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Looking at x2 1190 adventures
One 13 plate 17000 miles full history
One 15 plate 24000 miles full history

I have read of air box faults (dust blocking)
Also starter problems

Any help appreciated

Cheers BB

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Both bikes should had a valve clearance check so make sure it’s documented otherwise it’s not happened. I would expect the fuel filter to have been changed too so check for receipts of that too.

The 13 plate may have the weaker SM17 starter motor If its not been swapped out. If you look at the bottom of the V between the cylinders it’s stamped on the starter motor. It’s not a deal killer though as the starter works fine so long as the battery is in good condition but in very cold weather it struggles.

The 15 plate should have the SM13 starter motor but if it’s a late registration then it will have the SM17 so again check.

You've not said if you’re looking at the S or R model but the EDS suspension came standard on the later 14 S model and option prior to that.

The airbox isn’t a big issue in the U.K. unless it’s been ridden in dusty off-road conditions. If it has the standard air box then remove the seat and see if you can see a foam gasket between the box and lid or tape around it to show the previous owner has taken steps to minimise the issue. Again not a deal killer.

Condition and price would be more relevant if both equally kitted out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers
I was hoping the airbox was just in dusty scenarios, mainly roads for me.
2 up touring.
Both bikes are similar money.
The 13 plate has more extras ( 2 panniers crads bars spots)
15 plate more miles but is in mint condition though..

Thanks again l will check the starters

BB

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
It's worth fitting pre-filters over the air intakes. The cartridge can completely clog with flies before the service is due. I just cut a piece from a pair of finest grade ladies tights, tape them over the ducts and fit the cap over the top of them. Keeps big pieces of grit out too.

You can pay £25 for an official pair of foam socks but the tights works just as well.
Your own fishnet stockings that you wear around the house when the wife's out won't work really.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Tank panels rather than tank. But I do it when I'm checking the filter and lid, usually before going on a trip, so the tank's off anyway.
Use a bit of filter grease or vaseline under the lid and so far I've had no problems at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help very appreciated.
Roll on tomorrow for a decent look, test hopefully.

BB

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check the front discs for warping too. Pretty common.
I agree about the airbox, not an issue. Bought my 13 plate with 15k on it, it's now at 20k and uses next to fuck all oil.
The sm17 starter is shite though. You'll need a spare battery to help kick it over if you plan on a ride when the temp it 5c lower. £330 for a new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the front discs for warping too. Pretty common.
I agree about the airbox, not an issue. Bought my 13 plate with 15k on it, it's now at 20k and uses next to fuck all oil.
The sm17 starter is shite though. You'll need a spare battery to help kick it over if you plan on a ride when the temp it 5c lower. £330 for a new one.
£330 for a new starter motor?
Not a battery surley?
Cheers
BB

·
Registered
111 Posts
330 for the starter :)
I used an old car battery to help it last winter, starter will be changed before this one. Wouldn't want to be stranded on a winters jolly.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
As said 15 should have later starter and airbox.

Down to condition really, and if one is in the superior Orange colour, stunning, really miss having my 1190 to look at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 15 plate with 24560 miles is in stunning condition, don't think its been wet..
The 13 plate 17500 miles is good but not as good.
Both same price.

BB

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Wot Knapper said, a really loved newer bike is well worth having over an older lower mileage one not so well loved.

Higher mileage and great condition maybe suggests more longer runs rather than short trips and commuting.

Obviously haggle a little too, gotta be a buyers market right now with the economy on its arse and likely to be that way for years to come, I certainly cannot see me changing bikes / adding to stable for a long time, was thinking new commuter bike and car this year, now thinking I need to sell some shit!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Another thought, check condition of the brake pads and particularly the chain and sprockets. At 24 K it should be on or close to it's second set by now. That's £150-£170. Mine wore out at about 22K.
If it needs chain and sprockets and it's a dealer, I'd haggle the price down and fit them myself. It's a long chain run handling a lot of torque and I wouldn't use anything less than a DID Z-VMX. A dealer might be tempted to fit an also-ran chain to get the bike out the door, but anything less than a Z-VMX which won't last five minutes and you'll be constantly adjusting it.

I will only ever fit my own chains now with the proper DID riveting tool. You really, really don't want a joining link failing and the chain letting go on these bikes. Don't ask me how I know..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sold my 15 plate 1190S with 32k miles on it last year and it was reliable as heck. The only problems were when the so called KTM local dealer didn't refit the breather hose properly after the valve check and it leaked oil until they repaired it.
Still on the original front pads - engine braking is so good I rarely used them in anger. That's what planning ahead does for you.....
C&S lasted about 15k. Tyres - Conti Trail Attacks were the best compromise between mileage and grip. About 6500 miles from the rear and about 8k from the front. Absolutely cracking bikes that take big mileages well, fun to ride, quick as any sportsbike cross country and can tour 2-up easily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts