KTM Owners Forum banner

1190 Adventure Clutch Problem: Help

8K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Dr LC8 
#1 ·
Hi,

My 1190 has 10800 miles on the clock. Couple of weeks ago after a longish ride the clutch started slipping above 3000 rpm if the throttle is open quickly. I though the lining discs were done and I order a new set ( 3 + 7 as in the scheme below). Fitted last night I took the bike today. It was working ok in town but as I did few miles in the country roads it started playing again same way. Ok when it starts at traffic light or riding gently in traffic but when you open throttle it slips. Clutch leaver works well and the impression is that the clutch rod pushes all the way in no problem. When the bike is on the central stand in neutral there is no dragging.
What else can it be?
Many thanks
Nic

See less See more
#3 ·
There is something that is worth mentioning.

Last September my slave cylinder failed. I replaced it with an Oberon as I did with 990. Winter came and I used the bike very little. Last month I started to used it again and I noticed that the clutch pump reservoir was leaking fluid. On opening I found that the rubber membrane was completely deformed. order a new one, topped up the hydraulic fluid (Motorex 75). Then I used the bike in town only until what happen above. After posting my tread I opened the reservoir and I found that the new membrane is deformed as well! it can't be a coincidence!
The intriguing fact is that if you read owners manual it says to use Motorex Hydraulic oil (75) as per every other KTM as I did on 10+ bikes over the last 15 years. However the Magura lead of the reservoir says to use only break fluid DOT 4 or 5.1!!!!!!!!
What the hell? Is the problem here somehow?

#5 ·
Good question.
I bought it used last year from a dealer. The clutch lever wasn't coming back well but it was working ok. When I had it served in another garage I asked to fix it and I spent some £40 to change the spring. No Idea why that pump is there.

Nic

#6 ·
I might have found the problem.
Although while running the clutch lever felt normal probably it was not realising all the pressure from the master cylinder.

So following different advises I took down again the clutch, measured the springs which were normal, open the master cylinder system to drain it from the hydraulic oil and cleaned the pushing rod.

When I put everything back together and started refilling the system with DOT 5.1 I noticed that the lever wasn't coming back normally. It was very very slow. Noticed that the little rod was slow. I took the piston kit down and found this:

The sealing was completely dilated and teared looking the normal return. And this damage goes very well with this:

I imagine that with the cylinder partially engage in the pump cylinder keeps some positive pressure on the slave cylinder that keeps the pushing rod that 2-3mm forward preventing the clutch from working normally.
I suppose the as the engine warmed the problem become more evident

Tomorrow I will order the spare and see what happen.

Thanks for your help.

Nic

#7 ·
It might be best to replace all the rubber components and make sure that they are compatible with either Brake fluid or mineral oil. I believe that the Oberon ones can use either BUT NOT MIXED and I think the Magura seals are different depending on what fluid is used. I suspect that the system had been running one fluid till you bought it and was then topped up with the other fluid and that's when the problems started. It is also necessary to flush the hose or maybe even replace it so you start with a system that is completely clean.

#8 ·
You are right. It is my fault because when I replaced the original slave cylinder with the Oberon I used Hydraulic Oil as I wasn't aware of the change in KTM.
I checked and the parts are indeed different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.