KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an 1190 adventure and a 950 SM and while the SM sounds smooth and lovely the 1190 sound like a sewing machine. It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong and I've done all the valves to be sure but it just sounds a bit naff. I've had it a while but since buying the SM it's been annoying me more than it used to. Do they all sound like this?

Does a can make it sound better or just louder?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
695 Posts
You're probably referring to the cam chain rattle. All 1190/1290 LC8 engines are a bit clattery but it should smooth out as you rev the engine. If it gets louder with revs, something is wrong. If it's just a clattery tickover it's normal. Put your ear plugs in and crack on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cam chain is probably what it is and it does smooth out with revs. I'm pretty sure it's all working as it should, it just sounds a bit naff.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If the oil is very cold in my 1190 it sounds bad at first, once the oil warms up the tensioners must tighten better (I guess) and it calms the rattle down. It then sounds fine for the rest of the day after that but it was worrying when I first got the bike, it's pretty loud compared to others I've had.

The 950/990 engines are pretty cool as they only have a short cam chain. The actual cams are gear driven, the smaller chain just drives one central gear, which means much less chain rattle and it's easier to take the cams out if needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed it. Was...

Is now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts