KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short:
Had a 1190 Adventure S brand new in 2016, kept for two years and sold it for a 2018 BMW R1200GS. Really liked the KTM except the slightly crashy front end so now I have decided to sell the BMW and go back to an 1190 but this time the R.
I use this bike for maybe 6 weeks a year tops, mainly in Europe, so the cost of a new 1290 or R1250 just does not make too much sense as I run other bikes at the same time. I decided to go back to the KTM as it is devoid of massive electronic control and I love the style.
The 1190 R is not better than the BMW in any area (except probably straight line speed) but I'm ok with that as it is half the value of my 2018 GS and in reality 90% as good.
Couple of queries I have is the front end is no worse than the 1190S for crashing up/down on hard braking and acceleration so I will probably look at a higher viscosity fork oil but the front brakes are really weak and not progressive at all. I don't remember my 1190S having poor brakes, what have people done with the brake pads/discs? I think I may have changed the front pads to EBC HH sintered on the 1190S so I will probably do this and change the brake fluid.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're asking the wrong person an off road question

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
When I took my 1190R fork apart to change the seals I found the springs were binding horribly on the damper rod, I used an old wood plane and a file to reduce the size of the “fins” on the rod. The forks were much more compliant after this. Really bizarre as it was a real struggle to remove the spring from the damper rod, why KTM would build them like this god only knows.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I put EBC HH pads in my 1190 S and I would say they were an improvement, they're not expensive really - definitely worth a change. If the previous owner was a Steady Eddy the standard pads might be a bit glazed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just been out on mine after cleaning out the calipers and changing the fluid. I'd say there not bad, standard pads in there by the look of them.
Not much initial bite, but they'll trigger the abs in the dry with 2 fingers.
Changing the fluid had helped though. Might still try different pads though.
The standard suspension is fine for my meagre weight. Though the back end blows through the stroke a bit.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok EBC HH pads going in today, Duke 390 mirrors fitted and will install the Bumot pannier frames as well.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Ok EBC HH pads going in today, Duke 390 mirrors fitted and will install the Bumot pannier frames as well.
I looked at those EBC pads and thought they had hardly and meat on them compared to standard they looked almost worn out

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EBC brake pads are much better than what was in there. I'm going to change the fluid too does anyone know if I can use DOT 4 or 5.1 and do I need to buy Swiss Gold?
I'm going to change the clutch slave to the Oberon and it would be handy to use DOT 5.1 on both.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Taken from the owners manual

Recommended supplier
Castrol
– RESPONSE BRAKE FLUID SUPER DOT 4
Motorex®
– Brake Fluid DOT 5.1

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I use Carbone Lorraine pads in mine. I think they're better than either EBC or Brembo. They're pretty much Brembo money but superior in performance and mileage. They are certainly more progressive and have better feel. Buy mine from Moore Speed Racing.

I believe you can use either mineral oil or DOT fluid in Oberon slaves (I use oil in mine). But whatever you start with you have to stick with.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Motul 5.1 fluid ordered, just waiting for Oberon to deliver.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
If the slave master has had mineral oil in it might not like the 5.1.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Exactly. My 1190 is a 2015 and they were mineral oil from new on the clutch side. (I think the last ones went to fluid?? Not sure) So I stuck with the mineral oil. Works perfectly well and doesn't eat paint.

If you're buying a new Oberon slave, continue using whatever oil or fluid is currently used in the master cylinder. If you change you'll need to thoroughly clean the MC and fit a new piston and seal beforehand. Not worth it.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Top of my clutch master cylinder clearly states using brake fluid. Plus read through this thread.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
My 2015 S clearly states "use only mineral oil". I've a feeling the last 1190S in 2016 went over to brake fluid. Maybe the Rs were on brake fluid all the time. I don't know.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
You're not going to get the fork response you want by changing the oil. You need to change the springs.
If you're not going to ride offroad then tbh, pointless buying the R with the 21" inch front. Turns in far slower on road.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know but it looks so much better than the 'S'

1 - 20 of 25 Posts