KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My new to me 1190 Adventure refused to restart yesterday after filling it with petrol (yes, it was petrol ;)).

I filled up, went in to pay, came back out and all four indicators were on solid (not flashing). Turned the key, and nothing happened. The dash didn't light up, the bike wouldn't start. Bike has now been recovered to KTM, but has anyone else come across something similar? The battery was recharged, then swapped out but still the same, indicators jammed on. The dealer can't look at in until Wednesday and I just want it back :D

Cheers

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
has it got an alarm/immobiliser?
first thing that came to mind

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. No alarm but assuming the immobiliser was factory fitted.

I also thought that this morning. It rode into the petrol station fine, just didn't seem to want to leave it!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Sounds like a programming thing / module gone off line or summat ................ many cars when i program or flash the ecu it will put hazzards on continuiously

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the further replies. Yes it was petrol, and whatever it is that's happened has occurred as soon as the bike was switched off. Not aware of a mobile transmitter being near by, but they are that discreet now, it is possible. Hopefully it's an easy fix. It's now at the dealers so hopefully they'll find a quick, easy and cost free fix :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If the bike is under warranty and encounters the issue described, presumably it is a defect which should rectified without cost to you. Hopefully you will get your bike back soon, please keep us posted on the alleged root cause provided by the dealer, this sounds pretty strange... :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A wee update...

The factory hasn't heard of the problem before. The dealer has done what it has been asked to by the factory but we are no further forward.

I'll update you's at the start of the week.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello all,

My new to me 1190 Adventure refused to restart yesterday after filling it with petrol (yes, it was petrol ;)).

I filled up, went in to pay, came back out and all four indicators were on solid (not flashing). Turned the key, and nothing happened. The dash didn't light up, the bike wouldn't start. Bike has now been recovered to KTM, but has anyone else come across something similar? The battery was recharged, then swapped out but still the same, indicators jammed on. The dealer can't look at in until Wednesday and I just want it back :D

Cheers
Bugger me filled up on Wednesday bike turns over but wont fire up will be re recovered by KTM on Monday what a bummer! ...................still love IT!!!!!! 34 months warranty left!!! who gives a shit !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to update this when I finally got the bike back...

Bike was off the road for 4 weeks. Apparently the ECU wiped itself due to battery voltage drop. Quite how it took them so long to rebuild the software was not something they could give a believable explaination to. Anyhoo, bike back with a new battery, first service done and 800 miles done and all has been fine. Until last night...

Rode home from work, stopped outside the garage, left ignition switched on so the lights would light up the garage door, pushed the bike in, turned the key off and the dreaded all indicator stuck on issue struck again :mad:. Turned key on and off repeatedly. A relay was clicking under the seat but nothing else was happening.

Came into the house raging, spent the night looking at BMWs online, went to bed, got up and low and behold the bike is working again! :rolleyes:

I've booked it in to get the fault codes read (assuming there is some) on Monday.

Whatever the issue is, it's not fixed. Worried about taking the bike to work today incase I can't get home :hmh: Might take the wife's Ducati instead, it's been completely reliable :rotflmao:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, I had a similar issue with my bike last week. Bike had been running great since I bought it five weeks ago, pulled in for petrol last week then road the bike home for about 5 miles. The following morning my bike would not start at all. It was recovered to KTM dealer where they tried a number if things to diagnose the fault, they said what fixed it in the end was fringing the fuel tank of bad fuel and refilling it them it started immediately!
Two days later had the same issue again, bike recovered to KTM again and is currently in the workshop having a new battery and started motor installed which will hopefully fix the issue. A bit annoyed as I just received my wings exhaust and seat cooler but nothing to fit them too! I'm also gonna miss out in the Paddy Dakar event this weekend which I also had a set if TkC 80 tires delivered for this week!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A wee update for anyone who suffers similar in the future...

Bike went into local dealer two weeks ago today. Fault code in the ECU for the immobiliser. Some other readings were taken and I was told that the values retrieved from the bike were not as expected and a report would be forwarded to KTM UK for their input, but the boy who needed to deal with it was in Austria so I would hear the following week. OK, week came and went, phoned up and had to explain the entire story again to be told the boy who was dealing with it was in the middle of a fortnight's holiday. I am sick to the back teeth of the lies/misinformation/can't-be-bothered attitude of the dealer.

The company I bought it from are now taking over proceedings, the bike is being returned to them tomorrow and will be returned to me once repaired. More on that later...

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
A wee update for anyone who suffers similar in the future...

Bike went into local dealer two weeks ago today. Fault code in the ECU for the immobiliser. Some other readings were taken and I was told that the values retrieved from the bike were not as expected and a report would be forwarded to KTM UK for their input, but the boy who needed to deal with it was in Austria so I would hear the following week. OK, week came and went, phoned up and had to explain the entire story again to be told the boy who was dealing with it was in the middle of a fortnight's holiday. I am sick to the back teeth of the lies/misinformation/can't-be-bothered attitude of the dealer.

The company I bought it from are now taking over proceedings, the bike is being returned to them tomorrow and will be returned to me once repaired. More on that later...

Job done.... ;)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts

Job done.... ;)
Yer I must say that I am thinking about heading in the Red direction also ... and not the Italian one :eek:

4 times in the last 8 months I have had no start immobilised problems with the 990
really getting on my nerves and now KTM do not give a shit about their old models anymore if they ever did , what was once a great small company for some dedicated riders of a certain type of bike are now in the main stream and it shows :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts