KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on this. My initial thoughts have been straight to the Rottweiler intake but the more research I do the more confused I get.

I'm not lookng for ultimate power just decent filtration without loosing too much power.

DNA kit, looks fantastic but crazy exensive...

https://www.e-dnafilters.co.uk/product/Stage-2-and-3-Applications/KTM/DNA-1488/KTM-1190S3R/KTM-1190-Series-DNA-Air-Box-Kit-Top-Cover-AK-KT12MK3R-S3

PowerCell S3 kit, price getting better and seems a decent set up

https://www.e-dnafilters.co.uk/product/Stage-2-and-3-Applications/KTM/DNA-1488/KTM-1190S3R/KTM-1190-Series-DNA-Air-Box-Kit-Top-Cover-AK-KT12MK3R-S3

Now I'm looking at going for the Powerparts DNA filter https://www.ktmstuff.co.uk/product/powerparts-air-filter-air-filter-60306115000

Along with the KTM intake filters https://www.ktmstuff.co.uk/product/powerparts-air-filter-air-filter-dust-protection-60306922000

And finally grab one of the Unifilter airbox dust seals https://shop.touratech-uk.co.uk/unifilter-air-box-dust-seal-for-ktm-1050-adventure-1090-advenutre-1290-super-adventure-1190-adventure-1190-adventure-r.html

Those 3 will total around £100 and probably give more than enough filtration performance for my needs, It's mainly a road based commuter so I wont be ripping accross deserts.

Anyone got any input or advice beofre I get ordering

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
What year is your 1190? If it's '15 onwards and it's predominantly road-going it's highly unlikely you'll have an problems with leaks. The stock airbox isn't restrictive on the 1190s (it was on the 990s).

The stock paper filters are good but they do block easily and (this is true of 1290 Superdukes also) they often won't make it to the next service without cleaning or replacing.

If you're worried that your stock set-up isn't breathing adequately, then don't be as long as the cartridge is clean. If you think it might not be sealing well, there is a simple mod that stiffens the wedge insert that keeps the filter sealed against the mating surface in the airbox. Combine this with the unifilter lid gasket minus the rest of the kit, and you will never have any problems.

I also run pre-filter socks on mine over the intake ducts. Not the dense and expensive KTM pre-filters, just some 70 denier women's tights from Tesco.. They don't restrict airflow but prevent large debris flying down the intakes and battering your filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a 2015 model, I’ve not even picked it up yet but want to be prepared.
I did think about the tights thing but the KTM parts a quite reasonably priced.

I’ll have to have a good look at the air box over Christmas and decide then.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have a 2018 1090r and signs of dust getting past the stock filter is starting to show.
Checked the airbox at 4,000 miles and it was clean and sealed.
Checked at 14,000 miles and the lid has started to warp around the edges and the was some very, very light sign of dust in the trumpets, despite having the KTM filter socks fitted.
Granted, I did do a bit of dusty off road but in my opinion is that the issue is not and never has been sorted by KTM, the whole KTM airbox design is a bag of shit, from the sealing of the lid, to the fact the filter pulls off the sealing face as it gets dirtier because the filter is on the wrong side.
If you never ride in any dust ever you would'nt notice it, but if you do you can see it, either way its not good for your engine long term.
Iv'e gone for the full Powercell pod filter and prefilter set up which is quite spendy, but cheaper than a new top end for the engine.
It looks very well made and will be fitted over Christmas, and apparently gives a good boost in midrange drive due to the shorter inlet trumpets.
In my opinion it looks by far the best and fool proof solution.
The Rotweiler is more of a performance upgrade in my opinion, but may have draw backs if you do deep water crossings etc,,

Whatever you do, doing nothing and hoping for the best is just hiding from the truth.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
It’s a 2015 model, I’ve not even picked it up yet but want to be prepared.
I did think about the tights thing but the KTM parts a quite reasonably priced.

I’ll have to have a good look at the air box over Christmas and decide then.
The KTM prefilters are pretty crap tbh, pain in the ass to fit, and need disasembling of the fairing /shrouds to clean them, the powercell filters are a much better option.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I have a 2018 1090r and signs of dust getting past the stock filter is starting to show.
Checked the airbox at 4,000 miles and it was clean and sealed.
Checked at 14,000 miles and the lid has started to warp around the edges and the was some very, very light sign of dust in the trumpets, despite having the KTM filter socks fitted.
Granted, I did do a bit of dusty off road but in my opinion is that the issue is not and never has been sorted by KTM, the whole KTM airbox design is a bag of shit, from the sealing of the lid, to the fact the filter pulls off the sealing face as it gets dirtier because the filter is on the wrong side.
If you never ride in any dust ever you would'nt notice it, but if you do you can see it, either way its not good for your engine long term.
Iv'e gone for the full Powercell pod filter and prefilter set up which is quite spendy, but cheaper than a new top end for the engine.
It looks very well made and will be fitted over Christmas, and apparently gives a good boost in midrange drive due to the shorter inlet trumpets.
In my opinion it looks by far the best and fool proof solution.
The Rotweiler is more of a performance upgrade in my opinion, but may have draw backs if you do deep water crossings etc,,

Whatever you do, doing nothing and hoping for the best is just hiding from the truth.
The biggest drawback to a Rotweiller on a bike like a 1090/1190 which a lot of owners are going to tour on, is induction noise. I had one on a 990 SMT. It's great for short blasts on back roads but when you start spending eight hours a day in the saddle it hurts your head and gets on your nerves. It almost makes the bike feel slower too because you instinctively start holding back on the throttle to give your brain a break.
I'd put one on my Superduke and it would sound like music, but I've done 800 mile days on my 1190 and there's no way I'd want that racket all day.

And of course, you need a PCV and remap. And if you're going to spend that money you might as well decat it as well. You can quickly talk yourself into a 2 grand bill. I'd pay that to gain performance on a pure plaything bike, but not to prevent a problem which in 30,000 miles on my bike has never happened.

I'd be more interested in the Powercell pods. They're a quality and foolproof solution but personally I'd want to know what effect they have on the power delivery. Unless you're derestricting airflow and adding fuel to match, and the big LC8s don't suffer restricted airflow, there is no free lunch with induction mods. Gains in one part of the torque or power curve invariably mean losses somewhere else. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I really like my power and torque delivery the way it is now. I'd be very interested to see a before and after graph for the Powercell.
And I'd be really interested in pods that could be used with the stock intakes, but not sure that's possible.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The biggest drawback to a Rotweiller on a bike like a 1090/1190 which a lot of owners are going to tour on, is induction noise. I had one on a 990 SMT. It's great for short blasts on back roads but when you start spending eight hours a day in the saddle it hurts your head and gets on your nerves.
100% agree. I have the Motohooligan on my 990 and that thing is loud, louder than the engine and exhaust from where I sit.
When I was following my mrs she said that when I open mine up she can hear it roar over the intercom as the noise carries through it.
It kind of made her jump the first time it happened.:D

My 1190 came with a K&N panel air filter that was fitted from new. I can't hear it as it's still in the standard air box, and tbh I doubt I'd have bought one if it wasn't already in there. I think the standard air filters work fine for normal road use.
I have a decat exhaust and a straight through tailpipe but when I go touring I put the standard tail pipe back on as I don't want a week or two of braaap.. bang bang bang. It's fine for occasional rides and I like how it looks and sounds but I have toured on a noisy bike and I know it gets tiring.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Mine is a 2014 1190 Adv and had signs of dust in the box so changed to Rottweiler fitted alongside a Wings slip on the bike came with. Never remapped it and it runs sweet. No filtration problems only issue was over oiling the filter and the excess is blown back on to the rear header to be cooked into a sticky mess.
There is an induction noise but it's never been intrusive and the wife has never noticed it when pillion

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I actually replaced Rotweiller with a DNA billet box on my SMT at vast expense because I couldn't be arsed with the oiling.
Then I sold the bike. Wazza would have been proud of me.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I had the MotoHooligan on the SM990 and that was louder than the Rottweiler. Cleaning and oiling isn't an issue using No Toil products. Both the DNA and MotoHooligan airboxes used cotton gauze filters which still needed to be cleaned and oiled. I used to do mine with K&N products and I really wish I'd known about No Toil then, easy and no mess.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Frog, where did you order the PowerCell pods from?
US direct from Powerecell, didnt take long if you ignore the two weeks Royal mail left it gathering dust in the back of a warehouse. Tossers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fantastic, might order a set over Christmas. Did you get stung with customs too?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've had the pods on mine since day one. I ride on gravel/dirt most of the summer. Take the pods off and clean them once a year in the winter. No other filter. Nothing gets past them, but they do get pretty dirty on the outside with dirt, dust and bits of vegetation by the time I get around to cleaning them. Just seem to be a simple solution with minimal maintenance. And you never need to buy another paper filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have PP covers over the intakes and Powercell pods +Wings can - Runs great.

A cheaper alternative might be the UNI gasket on the lid and OEM filter. I prefer that, as it seals against the airbox better than the hard edged UNI or Dyna filters. Undo the bolt on the drain hose occasionally, as the airbox can fill up with water to a fairly high level if left DAMHIK.

As stated earlier in the thread, the airbox is a design nightmare with the warping lid, filter on the wrong side of the holder and drain holes not at the lowest point. Utter shite.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Undo the bolt on the drain hose occasionally, as the airbox can fill up with water to a fairly high level if left DAMHIK.
Just drill your own drain hole in the right spot. That's what I've done, never had a problem. Once the pods are on you can drill as many holes as you like.

And if you stick with the original design, just run some tape around where the lid meets the box. Apparently it's this bendy joint that lets the shite in.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I’ve run tape around the air box joint since I bought the bike new. Intakes are as clean as a new thing! Defiantly a sensible move.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just drill your own drain hole in the right spot. That's what I've done, never had a problem. Once the pods are on you can drill as many holes as you like.

And if you stick with the original design, just run some tape around where the lid meets the box. Apparently it's this bendy joint that lets the shite in.
You don't want to drill a drain hole on the clean side of the filter. It'll suck crap in. That is only an issue if you have the original filter set though of course. I have pods + holes.

Running tape around the outside of the box won't do anything about the main problem with the stock setup, which is air getting sucked over the bridge above the filter. Siliconing the whole joint would work, but seems like a massive faff to me.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
IMO the pod filter or simliar (as in Rottweiller etc) is the ONLY 100% surefire solution, taping stuff, siliconing stuff, extra gaskets etc could all fail one way or another. Ktm made some" improvements" over the years but none of them have addressed the basic errors in the design ( a filter that pulls off the sealing face as it gets dirty ffs, just put it the other side, would have made zero difference to the manufacture) or the lid warping.

Plenty of people on line treat this view as some kind of slight on the wonderfull all seeing KTM, they're welcome to that, I just don't want dust and dirt in my engine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts