Registered
3,940 Posts
Why you want them Gavla?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why you want them Gavla?
just read that a lot of guys have had issues with them failing, a fair few of the RC8 guys have had the same problems. Sorted it out today with the tensioners, but for the next service I’ll probably get some manual adjusters.

·
Registered
569 Posts
just read that a lot of guys have had issues with them failing, a fair few of the RC8 guys have had the same problems. Sorted it out today with the tensioners, but for the next service I’ll probably get some manual adjusters.
Have you fitted new std tensioner s today?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes all buttoned back up, put the filters on the radiator last night to properly dry out, Hopefully be finishing the job today.
Hi Gav. What did you find worn on the old tensioners, were the ratchet teeth not holding
or did they feel rough when worked in and out? Been through all this myself on my 1190. Keen to know what you found. What mileage are you on now? Cheers Nige.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Nige mileage is 13400, the tensioner(s) (as I’ve only changed shims on the front cylinder) just feel really notchy, done some reading over on Advrider and a few guys have swapped them out for some rally raid ones. Like I say I’ve fitted the OEM ones this time, but for the next service I’ll definitely look at replacing them with manual ones.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi Nige mileage is 13400, the tensioner(s) (as I’ve only changed shims on the front cylinder) just feel really notchy, done some reading over on Advrider and a few guys have swapped them out for some rally raid ones. Like I say I’ve fitted the OEM ones this time, but for the next service I’ll definitely look at replacing them with manual ones.
I renewed my o/e tensioners with new KTM ones when I did my valve check, as they are not a lot of money whilst your in there sort of thing. Made no difference to engine noise. There’s a lot of good info in the USA forum if you want to have a read. Many of them fit the aftermarket tensioners, although for me the jury’s still out. Guess they are just a noisy engine. Cheers Nige.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hmmmmm, I do hear a bit off chain slap, particularly the front at load under about 2750 rpm, been there from day one, assumed thats normal after my 950, would different tensioners change this? not sure it bothers me that much, just change down a gear.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hmmmmm, I do hear a bit off chain slap, particularly the front at load under about 2750 rpm, been there from day one, assumed thats normal after my 950, would different tensioners change this? not sure it bothers me that much, just change down a gear.
Hi. The 990 has geared cams, chain driven. The 1190s etc have a long chain, so probably more potential for backlash etc. Above 3k mines smooth and quiet. Around town not so much so. When I asked at a factory visit I went on they said they were racing engines with some high clearances and thin case castings!:unsure: Keep the revs up. The later engines have sprung gears in the transmission to help quieten things a little. But never going to sound like a 3 cyl triumph!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts