KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
It's been a couple of weeks since I put them in but this is my memory of how a cross-section would look:

So, bearing on the right inserted up to the shoulder, then the circlip fitted to the outside. Then the spacer tube and left bearing fitted until they meet the right bearing. Is that not what you were expecting?

I'll pull it apart at the weekend and double check, but I reserve the right to have completely mis-remembered this - my wife says it happens a lo apparantly 馃槀

Registered
Looking at that setup, install the bearing with the spring clip first. Then push/pull the other bearing snug to the centre tube using shoes/washers both ends. This is a common design on road bikes.
Hang on a minute...
This morning you were telling me that I'm wrong and that you've never seen this design before. Now you're saying it's a common design on road bikes. Hmm... :giggle:

Premium Member
Hang on a minute...
This morning you were telling me that I'm wrong and that you've never seen this design before. Now you're saying it's a common design on road bikes. Hmm... :giggle:
No, the example you were trying to explain. Spring clips holding bearings is very common, not just wheels. The 1190 set up Ive not seen, but if it is like the illustration its common, now go read back to what I actually said....;)

Well Ive never seen that, I have seen bearings held by spring-clips to stop drift. I'd like to see a diagram. So what is the mechanics of stopping the wheel drifting?

Premium Member
A big 6mm thick washer same size as bearing and a lengh of stud bar with two nuts would work fine.
I use a washer like this and a hammer to give the final tap home. If you heat the hub and freeze the bearing (freezer or spray) it all goes in with almost zero effort - you dont need a special tool (although Yellabel made a great one that makes it even easier) or to get all 'blacksmith' about it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
I looked around but couldn't find any washers that were the right size for bearing. I have found someone to knock me something up so will report back when it arrives.

Pulling the bearings out was chore - much swearing involved!!:mad:馃槀

Registered
I looked around but couldn't find any washers that were the right size for bearing. I have found someone to knock me something up so will report back when it arrives.

Pulling the bearings out was chore - much swearing involved!!:mad:馃槀
Yeh, when Charlie suggested using washers I did think you'll be lucky to find something suitable.
Last year I swapped out the bearings in the rear sprocket carrier on my 990 and I had a hell of a job finding something to do it, none of the ebay kits had a disk large enough. Lucky I managed to cobble together a puller from bits a friend has in his tractor shed.

Removing the bearings is/was always a chour, especially getting that first one out as the spacer stops you from getting at it, and you don't want to damage it either.
On my 990 I couldn't even shift the outer spacer with my usual selection of drifts & screw drivers so in the end I bought a slide hammer bearing puller - great piece of kit! The job is a piece of piss now.
I suppose I could of told you this a week ago. ;)

Similar to this

Premium Member
The washer l use came out of the 'old biscuit tin collection' in the service garage next door. Its just the tight diameter and about 4mm thick. M8 hole in the middle. Try your local agricultural place / fasteners place?

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Removing the bearings is/was always a chour, especially getting that first one out as the spacer stops you from getting at it, and you don't want to damage it either.
On my 990 I couldn't even shift the outer spacer with my usual selection of drifts & screw drivers so in the end I bought a slide hammer bearing puller - great piece of kit! The job is a piece of piss now.
I suppose I could of told you this a week ago. ;)

Similar to this
That's exactly what I used and usually its fine, don't know why but one of them was a twat this time :confused:

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Bearings fitted ok this weekend - a combination of better fitting tools, freezing the bearings, a bit more patience and a gentler touch (y)

Must try and remember this in the future 馃槀

21 - 34 of 34 Posts