KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Noob lurker here looking for some steer. I know this thread has been done to death, and I've read most of them, yet I still find myself on the fence. Coming from over 10 years of GSA fairly trouble free ownership, I upgraded to the newer LC model, which then got nicked about 3 weeks later. Insurance thankfully paid out but premiums went up. I now find myself at the end of my 2 year hiatus of cheaper bike ownership and a hankering to get back to dual sport practicality and fun.

Whilst the temptation to go back to a GSA is strong, life is too short to only ride one bike. On paper the SAT looks the obvious choice (fuel tank, pillion comfort, luggage, etc), yet there's something enticing about the R and its simplicity. I'd like to think that I'll do some green-laning or more serious offroading, and the pull of the KTM Rallies (post Covid) is profound. Although I have seen quite a few SATs tackling the terrain with relative ease.

Both models used are around the same price mark (SAT clearly suffering from higher depreciation ), and obviously you get more for your money with the SAT (heated seats, electronics etc), but by the same token more to go wrong. My GSA was the non ESA version, and it was never a hindrance - you don't miss what you never had.

I'm looking to move fairly quickly on this and given current lockdown, test rides are tricky and I'm an impatient f*cker.

Thanks for listening and hope to join the community soon!

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
419 Posts
If I was going to be doing proper off-roading on a regular basis, I'd get the R. If it was pure tarmac the vast majority of the time with the occasional bit of dirt now and again, I have the SAT.
I wouldn't worry about extra complexity with the 1290. There are no reliability worries that I know of and there's still a lot less tech than on the SAT than the latest Adv models.
Either will make the a GS look like it's going backwards.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The standard seats on the T are bloody uncomfortable, so budget for some ergo seats. The touring screen doesn’t work for everyone.

That aside, it’s an incredibly capable bike that I found to be a better all round option than the 1290 R or GSA that I owned.

The aftermarket luggage options, especially Bumot, are great value and good quality.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If you’re just doing roads and prefer the riding position of an adventure bike then go for the SAT. If you want to go off-road the then the R is better

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the replies. Some food for thought. So whilst the SAT has some off-roading capability, how good is the R on day to day asphalt riding and motorway munching?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
The 1190R is very bouncy on the road

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
No

·
Registered
2014 1190R
42 Posts
Owned my 1190r for nearly 2 years now, absolutely love it. Road and dirt. A lot of bike for the money. If your big and brave enough, do it!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The 1190S is more bouncy than the 1290S, butbin a good way, loved my 1190S, and on shitty back roads think it was better than 1290S, but situation reversed on smoother / faster roads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks chaps. Pulled the trigger in this over the weekend. Too good a deal - full zega pannier and toolbox system. Loads of add-ons including Rottweiler etc. 120 mile ride home today in rain and snow. Loving it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts