KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Duke 125
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud owner of a s/h 2015 Duke 125 thats seen better days.
When I bought the bike last week I knew that there was a gear shifting problem. My first port of call was to check the gear lever operation. The bolt holding the gear lever had been tightened so tightly that the gear lever would allow gear changing but would not spring back. I loosened the bolt a touch and all was well.
Great I thought. lol
With the ignition (to see the gears on the dash) on I selected gears, 1,2 and then 3 but couldn't go any further.
I removed the gear selector rod and used some pliers to click thru the gears (to eliminate a sloppy linkage).
Again, I could only get the first 3 gears.
I removed the clutch cover, undid the clutch nut, etc, but I can't slide the clutch basket off?
I had been hoping to see if I could spot anything wrong with the selector mechanism and try to be able to select all of the gears but I'm at a standstill now with the clutch basket still in place.
Any help, advice is gratefully taken!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Make sure you are spinning or at least rocking the rear wheel back and forth when trying to change gear, bike gearboxes don't like changing gears when neither of the gearbox shafts are spinning.

Reactions: Dawg

·
Premium Member
8,465 Posts
I take it its a linkage job. As said it wont click through gears smootly without play, find neutral and adjust your gear leaver to suit. If you removed the main clutch nut behind the pressure plate the basket will pull off, but you need to remove the case not the cover to get a good grip. If your clutch is working it has fook all to do with selecting gear, unless its heavily dragging.

·
Registered
Duke 125
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure you are spinning or at least rocking the rear wheel back and forth when trying to change gear, bike gearboxes don't like changing gears when neither of the gearbox shafts are spinning.
Thanks for the tip. I was working by myself today with the bike tilted over (clutch cover off with oil in the engine) so could not rock the bike back and forth as you suggested, but tomorrow I'll rope help in and give the gears more of a try to see if I can select 4th, 5th and 6th.

·
Registered
Duke 125
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it it's a linkage job. As said it won't click through gears smoothly without play, find neutral and adjust your gear leaver to suit. If you removed the main clutch nut behind the pressure plate the basket will pull off, but you need to remove the case not the cover to get a good grip. If your clutch is working it has fook all to do with selecting gear.
I removed the gear linkage to eliminate it (I do think it needs adjustment) and used some pliers to move the gear lever independently. I'm going to try again tomorrow to rock the back wheel as Sidecarbod suggested to see if the gears will change.
I hope that this will work. If it does the clutch plates can go back in, the cover refitted and fresh oil put in. Fingers crossed. And then the gear linkage adjusted or replaced.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I don't think any bike gearbox (sequential type anyway) will go up and down the gearbox without there being movement of the gears to help align things.
It's something that most riders learn in their 50 or 125cc days. If the engine isn't running then often you just need to jog the gearbox by rolling the bike back & forth and then you're able to get back down the box and to neutral.

·
Registered
Duke 125
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think any bike gearbox (sequential type anyway) will go up and down the gearbox without there being movement of the gears to help align things.
It's something that most riders learn in their 50 or 125cc days. If the engine isn't running then often you just need to jog the gearbox by rolling the bike back & forth and then you're able to get back down the box and to neutral.
Thanks for your input TrouserSnake. You are totally correct about rocking the bike back and forward as was sidecarbod. Yesterday I had the bike propped up on a piece of wood, tilted over to stop oil spilling onto the floor so stupidly bypassed rocking the bike back and forward. Luckily it now looks to be fixed!

·
Registered
Duke 125
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you chaps for your advice and help.
I seem to have a full selection of gears now. I've ordered a new gasket for the clutch cover, a new rose jointed gear selector arm thing, and some oil to top the engine up. It had just had new oil filters a week or two back.
I've added a pic of the clutch basket. Somebody previous to me seems to have marked a line across the basket and across the end of the gear selector shaft. It does make me wonder if to get the basket out you need to set the engine at TDC before removing the nut that holds the cam chain sprocket on? I've never had to do anything like this before to get a clutch basket off. But I've always only had Japanese bikes.
Anyway, once the new gasket arrives I'll bolt it back together and call it done, for now.
Thank you once again.

·
Registered
574 Posts
looks to me if you want to remove the clutch basket, you need to remove the cam chain (or get it off the sprocket), as the outer edge of the chain appears to be larger than the gear mesh of the clutch basket and primary pinion (if you get what I mean).

I don't have W/S manual of the 125/390, it may be possible to remove the clutch basket if you remove the central bearing where the basket runs on?

Reactions: Dawg

·
Registered
Duke 125
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks to me if you want to remove the clutch basket, you need to remove the cam chain (or get it off the sprocket), as the outer edge of the chain appears to be larger than the gear mesh of the clutch basket and primary pinion (if you get what I mean).

I don't have W/S manual of the 125/390, it may be possible to remove the clutch basket if you remove the central bearing where the basket runs on?
I had a bit of a try to see if I could move the basket from the central bearing last night just as I was putting my spanners away. It does appear to me that you must have to set the timing marks before loosening the cam chain sprocket bolt. If it is, what a crap design for a home DIY bike type of owner. This is my first experience of anything KTM and already what should be a simple task has had me seeking advice on this wonderful forum. Normally Id just muddle along until I got whatever it is fixed on more DIY friend jap bikes. I'm not put off just yet though. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
if you want simple and easy DIY on a KTM 4T: have a go with an (old) LC4 (350/400/600/620/640/660).

·
Premium Member
8,465 Posts
Interesting design, as said looks like you'll need to remove timing chain and gear from the crank to remove the basket. The lines on the basket, no idea, I very much doubt they are anything to do with timing or balance. The output from the crank drives the basket, that intern drives the inner basket which drives the input shaft of the gearbox. If you remove the timing chain obviously you'll need to realign that correctly with TDC and camshaft.

How many miles on the bike? With a new clutch there is a certain amount of drag, make sure you have full movement of the clutch before you reassemble. Bear in mind with clutch drag it will clunk when selecting gear when stationary. Check all the friction and plates for warp-age before putting the back in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts