KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening all,

So I'd like remove the big ugly cat under my SDR and fit a decat - easy enough.

My question is (after many hours on google with no answer) what is the best route to go with remapping the Duke!

I've spoken to two of my local KTM dealers, one wont go near my bike without a full Akra system (currently have the Akra slip on) and the other is unsure if he can load the map on after having a new computer fitted to their work shop :confused:

I'd like to go for a remap at hilltop, seems to have good reviews but I'm not exactly local.

I've used a power commander before on previous bikes with good results.

I'm not looking to skimp out on my bike, in fact quite the opposite but I'd like some feedback on my different options before committing.

TIA :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried crescent? they fitted a full akra to mine and loaded the map
That's one of the dealers I tried, they weren't keen unless I had a full Akra system fitted.

I guess its all liability if anything goes wrong - even if it has been proven by other KTM dealers the map is okay with just a slip on and decat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
347 Posts
Get the full Akra - the titanium headers save a load of weight.

Technically anything but the power parts stuff voids your warranty, if you have one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No warranty here & TI headers would be the dream, however the cost is high enough to put me off and spend it on better things!

Like trips to Europe and track days!

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you shop around you can probably get the full akra kit fitted for £2k, surely if you add up all the bits in the kit and have them fitted you won’t be far off that much.....

a Decent decat, say arrow, will be £250, sas delete £50, kn filter £50, power commander and map £500, if you then sold and got £400 for your akra slip on you’re only £750 off the total evo kit fitted.

On Black Friday last year AMS did 25% off powerparts making the kit price closer to £1500 if you can wait a few weeks they may do the same again......

Just a thought

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
If you shop around you can probably get the full akra kit fitted for £2k, surely if you add up all the bits in the kit and have them fitted you won’t be far off that much.....

a Decent decat, say arrow, will be £250, sas delete £50, kn filter £50, power commander and map £500, if you then sold and got £400 for your akra slip on you’re only £750 off the total evo kit fitted.

On Black Friday last year AMS did 25% off powerparts making the kit price closer to £1500 if you can wait a few weeks they may do the same again......

Just a thought
Cracking man maths that.... He's gone from spending £250 at Hilltop and £250 on a decat, to spending £2000 within about 3 seconds :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Evening all,

So I'd like remove the big ugly cat under my SDR and fit a decat - easy enough.

My question is (after many hours on google with no answer) what is the best route to go with remapping the Duke!

I've spoken to two of my local KTM dealers, one wont go near my bike without a full Akra system (currently have the Akra slip on) and the other is unsure if he can load the map on after having a new computer fitted to their work shop :confused:

I'd like to go for a remap at hilltop, seems to have good reviews but I'm not exactly local.

I've used a power commander before on previous bikes with good results.

I'm not looking to skimp out on my bike, in fact quite the opposite but I'd like some feedback on my different options before committing.

TIA :D
Well, my bike is 2 years old now, fitted a decat when brand new.

No remap, no problems at all, not running lean.

If it goes bang its goes bang, but it will not.

Is there anybody on this forum who has "holed a piston" or similar without a remap when fitting a decat pipe, doubt it.

For the road its fine without a remap, on the track it may be different, and as a naked bike nobody holds it full throttle for long.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2017 GT with Bodis Decat and Akra can (baffle still in), it felt fine to ride on the road and even seemed to rev a little easier (imagination maybe?)

I can't have the Akra map on the GT, didn't want the hassle of PCV etc while under warranty and didn't fancy having the ECU re written/normal flash.

I went with the Hilltop software, which I find makes my bike run much better and it drives from 3000 rpm without snatch or judder. Bike went in for first year service, all ECU software updated by KTM, dealer couldn't see Hilltop software and bike still runs as before so ECU update didn't delete Hilltop software.

Bike was running very lean up to 5,000 rpm before Hilltop did their work, Geoff also explained that the stock ECU runs very weak as standard, plus alters the ignition to allow the bike to run, his software sorts all that out. It is also supposed to self learn within certain parameters.

Is it the best solution for ultimate power, no, but if you just want your bike to run much better I think its the best £300 I have spent. (I would call it an optimisation)

My bike, at 700 miles and baffle in, made 159 hp and 99 ftlb at the rear wheel. I have done another few thousand miles and will pull the baffle so expect to get a few more hp and ftlb now.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
A full Akra at Black Friday deals makes sense fiscally, visually and aurally. If you go the decat route you will only pine after the full Akra for ever and ever. The End.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I have a 2017 GT with Bodis Decat and Akra can (baffle still in), it felt fine to ride on the road and even seemed to rev a little easier (imagination maybe?)

I can't have the Akra map on the GT, didn't want the hassle of PCV etc while under warranty and didn't fancy having the ECU re written/normal flash.

I went with the Hilltop software, which I find makes my bike run much better and it drives from 3000 rpm without snatch or judder. Bike went in for first year service, all ECU software updated by KTM, dealer couldn't see Hilltop software and bike still runs as before so ECU update didn't delete Hilltop software.

Bike was running very lean up to 5,000 rpm before Hilltop did their work, Geoff also explained that the stock ECU runs very weak as standard, plus alters the ignition to allow the bike to run, his software sorts all that out. It is also supposed to self learn within certain parameters.

Is it the best solution for ultimate power, no, but if you just want your bike to run much better I think its the best £300 I have spent. (I would call it an optimisation)

My bike, at 700 miles and baffle in, made 159 hp and 99 ftlb at the rear wheel. I have done another few thousand miles and will pull the baffle so expect to get a few more hp and ftlb now.
Had my 2014 Superduke R done by Hilltop and I`ve got the full Akrapovic system.

Findings; No low rev shunting. Pulls smoothly from low down. Loads more mid range and a bit more at the top end.

Best money I`ve spent on a bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the info, certainly a lot to think about!

Hilltop seems like the place to go, I would love to get my bike up there for it to be tuned on there Dyno but does anyone have any experience with their ECU send in service?

I know the full Akra is the dogs, as it is with any bikes, however for now the money will be much better spent on other things as I plan on doing some trips and track days with my beast.
Maybe in the future I will get a full system but for now the £500 on the hilltop remap and decat combination makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts

a Decent decat, say arrow, will be £250, sas delete £50, kn filter £50, power commander and map £500, if you then sold and got £400 for your akra slip on you’re only £750 off the total evo kit

Just a thought
Have you got contact details for AMS please

1 - 20 of 52 Posts