KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would try on the forum as I’m struggling to fix my 2017 SDGT. Gearbox has failed which appears to have damaged an engine case or both. KTM have looked at it and advised it would be cheaper to source a second hand engine and then they would fit it rather than strip and repair. I was looking for a later engine which I believe has a better gearbox. Anyway, eBay has a couple but they are £2k, just wondering if anyone on here has any ideas or knows of any 1290 engines, complete, from a GT or R preferably 2018 or 19?

One sold last week on eBay for £1200 (2019) but I hadn’t heard from KTM until after it sold.

Any help greatly appreciated to get me back on the road.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't like the sound of this !! Hope its not a problem on the 2017 GTs as I have one in the garage.
Did KTM not offer any help as its only just out of warranty ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gear 4 have been excellent. They suggested the max KTM UK would offer (out of warrant) would be a percentage towards parts. They removed the oil filter noting oil pressure light came on when gearbox started making noises and there were lots of steel (Gears) particles and loads of aluminium (Engine Case) particles. Likely gearbox a
has shed some teeth when I got a false neutral and they have in turn damages one or both engine cases. KTM UK won’t commit until a full strip down which is nearly £800, with parts being likely to be £2.5k minimum and then loads more labour the cost even with parts discounted would be huge. They advised getting a second engine would be cheaper and then just changing the log book details. I’ve researched loads and found two other cases of gearbox failure on 2017 engines. Both had experienced false neutrals so my advise would be to ensure the gear-lever is setup to you and positively change gear when using QS. I just can’t take the risk that after a strip down KTM UK offer 25% of parts and I’m left with a £5k bill. With an engine it should be about £2.5k tops hopefully dependant on engine cost. Really disappointed as I don’t ride it that hard and it’s dealer serviced and looked after, just issues with early gearbox and QS I think.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There has been way more than 2 other cases of gen 1 1290 gearbox failures. KTM and dealers tend to say they haven't heard of any others, that's what they said when mine went. False neutral between 5th / 6th . Luckily was still in warranty when it went. It was Gear4 who did the repairs, so if they've told you it's unheard of . . . . . . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hope all goes well but what a mess to be in l know Ktm have there problems but after reading this and having a few false neutrals myself 18 sdr. You have me worried

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hope all goes well but what a mess to be in l know Ktm have there problems but after reading this and having a few false neutrals myself 18 sdr. You have me worried
I believe that KTM made some changes to the gearbox internals for 2018 so you should be fine. It isn’t a common problem I understand but did occur on some earlier models. I’m hoping the 2018 engine I’ve bought gives me no trouble, I commute on my SDGT so about 1200 miles a month. If I get no more problems I might just stick with KTM but if anything else happens that’s it for me, I’ll be getting a BMW.o_O

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you are doing that kind of mileage you need a Japanese donkey not a European race horse,those of us who suffer older years have all been guilty of ‘Been there done that’,i’ve Currently got 3 Beemers(among others) but they have their moments I can tell you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are doing that kind of mileage you need a Japanese donkey not a European race horse,those of us who suffer older years have all been guilty of ‘Been there done that’,i’ve Currently got 3 Beemers(among others) but they have their moments I can tell you.
Never had Japanese, always ridden European (Aprilia, BMW or KTM), I think I’m a glutton for punishment. I like v twins!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts