KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My first post , and possibly my first KTM.
I am looking at 1290 GT's and at my budget I seem to be able to find lots of 2017 bikes on E Bay and Autotrader with low miles sub 8k in many cases . What is more surprising is some of them have two or even three owners in three years and 6-7K miles ?
Is there a shocker here , people have them for 2k miles and then sell them, there are heaps for sale here at least 70 to choose from on the two sites .

Are there any views please , I have had around 20 bikes in the past 35 odd years and I often sell after a year myself , I am just surprised there are so many for sale, so many with low miles and so many will multiple owners .

I would appreciate any thoughts from owners and thank you

David

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
They're a great bike,ktm do have their niggles, particularly electrical issues but I've had minimal problems with mine .One thing is that ktm discount bikes each year to move on stock so its possible people upgrade more often

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
To be honest there’s no simple answer, ranging from the 1290 is quirky at best and not for everyone, to...in the good old days if you couldn’t afford a bike you didn’t buy one now with all this PCP shit introduced the kippers and curtain image to biking.

Was on the way to Aragon 3 years back, parked up high up in the Pyrenees 4 bikes turn up with UK plates, one guy was on a GT which I was thinking about buying....is that one of those discounted 11K bikes I ask...no mate...they were only 11k with the Akra can, they were 10500 without.

When riding your GT you ain’t going to get it in top gear under 80mph...., I put two teeth on the back sprocket and it’s still 75.

Bought my GT in 19,it had come from the IoM think it had done 4000, it’s not my only bike not by a long chalk it ain’t so perhaps my attitude would be different if it was my only one,
but i’ve Been more than happy with it.

Dealers are another issue, i don’t use my local one.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would imagine that this year the covid effect might start to kick in, which in turn could put more & newer bikes on the used bike market, so maybe you're seeing the start of that already.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had a 17 plate GT for 3 years. No issues in 17k miles. I'm trading it in next week for a new SDR. It will be up for sale with KD Motorcycles in Accrington. Its got all the bits, sat nav mount, smoked screen, heated comfort seats, panniers and Akra exhaust.
A lot of GT's have the first owner as dealership because they pre registered them.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If I had to pick one thing i’m Not a fan of its the electric suspension, given the choice i’d Take what is on the R every time, I see on another forum K-Tech are looking at doing something with a BM X/R so i’m Watching with interest, cuz i’d Be quite keen to go back to a manual option on the GT if possible

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
There was a 100 pre registered bikes sold by dealers in 2017. So that would account for one owner.
As for mileage my GT is a 2017 with 6k on the clock. I have just not been able to use it. Due to lockdown and other things.
It might also be for sale.

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
I've had a 17 plate GT for 3 years. No issues in 17k miles. I'm trading it in next week for a new SDR. It will be up for sale with KD Motorcycles in Accrington. Its got all the bits, sat nav mount, smoked screen, heated comfort seats, panniers and Akra exhaust.
A lot of GT's have the first owner as dealership because they pre registered them.
Let me know if you want to sell the panniers separately

1 - 8 of 8 Posts