KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KTM 1290 SA is a lovely bike but the build quality is just shocking, mine is less than three years old and under 10K miles. Full beam switch gear has failed three times, rear wheel bearing highly corroded, front brake calliper bolt failed, crash bars replaced due to corrosion, and more ....

Lets not even mention the well documented problems with the clunky forks or the two recalls it has had for other issues.
It went back to the dealer about 10 times in its first three months and since then it has just suffered a series of problems, originally thought most of the issues were dealer related but now looks like most of it is down to KTM quality or its lack of it.

The bike is now out of warranty, cant get any sense or communication out of KTM, so can only advise you not to buy KTM, the dealers seem to be more than aware of the appalling quality issues surrounding KTM bikes. I love riding the bike but the hassle that goes with owning a KTM is just not worth it, I cant cope with the poor reliability or the time I spend riding it back and forth to the dealer

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Six years with ktm 4 on a rc8 and 22k and 2 years on a 1190s and 18k and no problems so far .I ride all year round and don't perhaps clean them as often as I should nor use ac50 or such like but build quality seems ok ,guess you were unlucky

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Nothing new realy KTM have always been shit

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I had a lot of problems with a new Kawasaki once, my KTM has fared much better, the worst bike I had (ignoring 70's and 80's two strokes) was a 2008GS, made your super adventure look very reliable.

I know some people with the more modern LC GS models and they seem to corrode by the time they have been ridden back to the dealers, then the paint falls off the engine, and with one of them the gearbox popped out to say hello, then they had to go back in case the forks snapped in half.

The finish on both my 1090 and 1190 looks very decent, the cycle parts look to be decent quality and the paint looks to be nice and thick, not sure I will own either one of them long enough to really comment on reliability as I would expect any bike to get to 50,000 miles without major issues....

...and I expect my dealer to look after me in the case of issues if he wants to flog me KTM number three, from your moniker I suspect you have been dealing with Fowlups which from what I read on the internet (so it must be true) are not the best KTM dealer out there, although in fairness to them I am not 100% certain you may not of approached in a calm and polite manner with your issues judging by your 1st post here.

I doubt KTM are the best for reliability (Japs still have that accolade IMO) or customer service (Try BMW, they would love to listen to you moan and most likely will make you a nice cuppa to wet your whistle while you rant)

The best bikes we have owned are a Yamaha Super Tenere, Suzuki V-Strom and a Yamaha TDM900 - All can be picked up nice and cheap, you can probably find a dealer somewhere to swap one of them for your KTM and put this traumatic experience behind you.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
KTM 1290 SA is a lovely bike but the build quality is just shocking, mine is less than three years old and under 10K miles. Full beam switch gear has failed three times, rear wheel bearing highly corroded, front brake calliper bolt failed, crash bars replaced due to corrosion, and more ....

Lets not even mention the well documented problems with the clunky forks or the two recalls it has had for other issues.
It went back to the dealer about 10 times in its first three months and since then it has just suffered a series of problems, originally thought most of the issues were dealer related but now looks like most of it is down to KTM quality or its lack of it.

The bike is now out of warranty, cant get any sense or communication out of KTM, so can only advise you not to buy KTM, the dealers seem to be more than aware of the appalling quality issues surrounding KTM bikes. I love riding the bike but the hassle that goes with owning a KTM is just not worth it, I cant cope with the poor reliability or the time I spend riding it back and forth to the dealer
It sounds like the mistake was in thinking it’s a BMW or suchlike and not taking it straight from the showroom and riding it like it’s ‘ready to race’ up the BYWAYS, the rockier the better so you’ll just assume it’s because you’ve ridden it as intended.
PS, I don’t own one as my 950 has more than enough power to drag my lardy arse around.

Reactions: Andy.H

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
They made a superb job of my 2008 990 Adventure.
My 2004 950 ain’t bad either. It’s a bit like Triggers broom but given how I ride it, it’s kinda understandable.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Fuck that shit! Really!....:eek:

‘build quality is just shocking’

‘Ktm quality or lack of it’

‘can only advise you not to buy Ktm’

‘appalling quality issues surrounding Ktm bikes’

‘owning a Ktm is just not worth it’

‘I can’t cope with the poor reliability’

‘if people are prepared to eat their shit’

‘can’t get any sense or communication out of Ktm’ ......I wonder fucking why?!

And you came on a Ktm Forum to say all that exaggerated bullshit?! :rotflmao:

Ktm make TOP bikes, but with most bikes shit will come loose, sometimes fall out, occasionally corrode....sometimes just stop working for no apparent reason at all! (Especially if you’re an abusive fucker like me). It’s luck of the draw. Ride them like they’re meant to be ridden and it’s a small price to pay.

If you build up a good relationship with your dealer, rather than going on like a bellend every time a bolt comes loose or a switch stops working, they’ll bend over backwards to help you out (in an out of warranty) and probably just pop the part you needed in the post like they have with me in the past, to save the journey. They won’t even return your emails once the warranty is up otherwise! Which is I guess what’s happening.

And I’d rather have ‘exceptionally low expectations’ like Wazza apparently has (although I believe he IS the ‘most fastidious cunt’ he says he is) and be happy all the time, rather than a miserable bastard with ultra high expectations that is constantly disappointed.

Hopefully your next bike will work out better, Ktm by the sounds of it are not good enough for you.....

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
My 2004 950 ain’t bad either. It’s a bit like Triggers broom but given how I ride it, it’s kinda understandable.
Mines going well, 67k miles now, did the water pump at 45k and on it's third rad cap, that's it.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Fuck that shit! Really!....:eek:

‘build quality is just shocking’

‘Ktm quality or lack of it’

‘can only advise you not to buy Ktm’

‘appalling quality issues surrounding Ktm bikes’

‘owning a Ktm is just not worth it’

‘I can’t cope with the poor reliability’

‘if people are prepared to eat their shit’

‘can’t get any sense or communication out of Ktm’ ......I wonder fucking why?!

And you came on a Ktm Forum to say all that exaggerated bullshit?! :rotflmao:

Ktm make TOP bikes, but with most bikes shit will come loose, sometimes fall out, occasionally corrode....sometimes just stop working for no apparent reason at all! (Especially if you’re an abusive fucker like me). It’s luck of the draw. Ride them like they’re meant to be ridden and it’s a small price to pay.

If you build up a good relationship with your dealer, rather than going on like a bellend every time a bolt comes loose or a switch stops working, they’ll bend over backwards to help you out (in an out of warranty) and probably just pop the part you needed in the post like they have with me in the past, to save the journey. They won’t even return your emails once the warranty is up otherwise! Which is I guess what’s happening.

And I’d rather have ‘exceptionally low expectations’ like Wazza apparently has (although I believe he IS the ‘most fastidious cunt’ he says he is) and be happy all the time, rather than a miserable bastard with ultra high expectations that is constantly disappointed.

Hopefully your next bike will work out better, Ktm by the sounds of it are not good enough for you.....

I disagree, KTM used to make top bikes but their quality has steadily been going down hill since about 2009 when TATA got involved, their quality is awful now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts