KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2018 bike which coming from a GS is night and day however the front end is a deal breaker for me.

Under braking the forks clunkfeeling like something is loose. The ktm dealer fobbed me off with “ that’s how they are butt”.....the bike feels like something is loose.

Who can I take the forks to in uk to get sorted?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine don't clunk and it's the best suspended bike I've ever ridden.

Sure the clunk isn't head bearings? Definitely shouldn't do that. Does it do the same in the different suspension modes?

Daz

·
Registered
397 Posts
I took mine to Wayne mounter's today due to a weeping rear shock which they immediately confirmed the complete shock would need to be changed no messing....fair play you cant fault tat service!

Regarding the front end clunk, the dealer also suggested head bearings....3 of my mates have the 1290 and mine is the only one like this.....

Lets see

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Mine is fine too, so sounds as if something not right, IIRC the earlier SA (Ones with big tank) used to have clunking issues but I thought KTM had sorted it by the time the SAS models appeared.

I would not take "They all do that" as an answer when clearly most don't do it!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mine is fine too, so sounds as if something not right, IIRC the earlier SA (Ones with big tank) used to have clunking issues but I thought KTM had sorted it by the time the SAS models appeared.

I would not take "They all do that" as an answer when clearly most don't do it!
Thank you Ginge!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I had a sort of snick-click sensation under braking once from my Superduke and it was indeed a loose head race nut.

On a high mileage bike it could also be worn fork bushes or excessive play in the front brake disc bobbins. Highly unlikely on your bike. It won't be anything much. Best not to leave it to long though. A slopping headrace will quickly wear the bearings which is a much greater pain in the arse than just tweeking up the nut.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have a 2018 bike which coming from a GS is night and day however the front end is a deal breaker for me.

Under braking the forks clunkfeeling like something is loose. The ktm dealer fobbed me off with “ that’s how they are butt”.....the bike feels like something is loose.

Who can I take the forks to in uk to get sorted?
The clunking is the excessive clearance on the rebound valve it needs shimming to stop the clunk
Tw suspension tech did mine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts