KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week i picked up my new bike, a 1290 SAR from 2017. During the test ride i noticed an oddly placed screw near the dashboard, i asked the dealer but they didnt know why it was there.

Does anyone know if this screw is supposed to be there? Or if the previous owner had placed it there himself? I also noticed a couple of similar type of "screws" in the shocks as well. Included is a picture for reference.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Last week i picked up my new bike, a 1290 SAR from 2017. During the test ride i noticed an oddly placed screw near the dashboard, i asked the dealer but they didnt know why it was there.

Does anyone know if this screw is supposed to be there? Or if the previous owner had placed it there himself? I also noticed a couple of similar type of "screws" in the shocks as well. Included is a picture for reference. View attachment 40177
Screw certainly looks a bit random. I’d like to see a picture of the one in the rear shock?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the shocks i ment the front ones. At the bottom of the picture you can see that KTM uses a philips head type screw in the shock. Initially i only noticed the screw near the dashboard so i thought it was placed there intentionally, but today i noticed the ones in the shocks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
With the shocks i ment the front ones. At the bottom of the picture you can see that KTM uses a philips head type screw in the shock. Initially i only noticed the screw near the dashboard so i thought it was placed there intentionally, but today i noticed the ones in the shocks.
View attachment 40178
Don’t worry about the screws on the fork top. KTM put them there as air bleeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don’t worry about the screws on the fork top. KTM put them there as air bleeds.
The ones in the fork top im not worried about, im curious about the lonely screw near the dash. That's not standard from the factory right?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Slightly unscrew the fork one periodically, to let the built up air out, especially if you venture off road.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Slightly unscrew the fork one periodically, to let the built up air out, especially if you venture off road.
Funny I was nearly going to say that......... Strange, but after years of different bikes and fork valves/manual Bleeders, my 1190r is the only bike that never makes air in there, no matter when or how often I bleed them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that some kind of mount next to it?......the screw could have initially been holding a wire clip to tidy up the fitting.
That's what i wondered as well. Kind of weird to put a screw into a nice piece of plastic..

Atleast I now know that its not factory. I'll get an appointment made at the shop to see if they can remove it without damaging anything.

·
Registered
700 Posts
That's what i wondered as well. Kind of weird to put a screw into a nice piece of plastic..

Atleast I now know that its not factory. I'll get an appointment made at the shop to see if they can remove it without damaging anything.
If it upsets you, unscrew it your self and put a bit of black RTV silicone in there. Or cover it with a tyre pressure sticker reminder, or similar.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it upsets you, unscrew it your self and put a bit of black RTV silicone in there. Or cover it with a tyre pressure sticker reminder, or similar.

Does anyone know if this screw is supposed to be there? Or if the previous owner had placed it there himself? I also noticed a couple of similar type of "screws" in the shocks as well. Included is a picture for reference. View attachment 40177
My guess would be something to do with a cable tether/routing for a phone, camera or SatNav power supply. I've just switched to an ultimate addons case after I've binned my faulty satnav and am looking for a power supply solution from either that socket or the phone holder usb socket.

See if there is a hole in the bottom too underneath that screw, as that indicates a cable has been routed through.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know the last owner liked to bodge, and the supplying dealer had no funking clue if it should be there.
I only asked the salesman when picking the bike up. This salesman in particular wasn't very technical. I'm going back next Saturday for new tires, the mechanic will take a look then as well.
My guess would be something to do with a cable tether/routing for a phone, camera or SatNav power supply. I've just switched to an ultimate addons case after I've binned my faulty satnav and am looking for a power supply solution from either that socket or the phone holder usb socket.

See if there is a hole in the bottom too underneath that screw, as that indicates a cable has been routed through.
I checked the bottom but no hole to be found.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I only asked the salesman when picking the bike up. This salesman in particular wasn't very technical. I'm going back next Saturday for new tires, the mechanic will take a look then as well.

Probably a tether then to keep a USB plug for the socket in place as they do move about through vibes. Failing some kind of holder, maybe a credit card holder for toll roads or something. I'm curious!

I'm curious! It must have been a fixing so I'm thinking a tether for a USB plug for the socket b/c having used that socket myself the plug does move around with the vibes and bounces of the bike often breaking connection. I had similar on an old bike I bought used from a local dealer so rode round his house to ask him what the weird socket and fuse was once I got the log book! He lived locally. Turned out to be power supply for an unbranded Chinese satnav.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I forgot to ask the mechanic to check the screw so afterall i did it myself. It turns out to be a little screw, probally (like some of you said) used to hold something in place. I decided to remove it and put some black electrical tape on the hole for now.

Here are some pics:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts