KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm up to 1500 miles on the bike now since new and still loving it but I have kind of noticed, or rather it feels as if the bike doesn't like doing 60mph in 6th gear. Its as if the engine feels bogged down and is labouring, yet still feels smooth although the engine note changes, I think. Soon as I get to 66 to 68mph the engine changes again and that bogged down feeling goes away. Kind of difficult to explain. I've never had a twin before or a 1300cc bike so was wondering if this is normal. 5th gear at 60mph feels fine. So do I just use 6th for motorways? I'd rather have the better fuel economy when just cruising around. My previous bike was triple that cruised around in 6th easy as low as 35mph without this bogged down feeling. Just wanna make sure there's no niggles with my engine or gearbox. Anyone else noticed this? This is a 2018 bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
So, I'm up to 1500 miles on the bike now since new and still loving it but I have kind of noticed, or rather it feels as if the bike doesn't like doing 60mph in 6th gear. Its as if the engine feels bogged down and is labouring, yet still feels smooth although the engine note changes, I think. Soon as I get to 66 to 68mph the engine changes again and that bogged down feeling goes away. Kind of difficult to explain. I've never had a twin before or a 1300cc bike so was wondering if this is normal. 5th gear at 60mph feels fine. So do I just use 6th for motorways? I'd rather have the better fuel economy when just cruising around. My previous bike was triple that cruised around in 6th easy as low as 35mph without this bogged down feeling. Just wanna make sure there's no niggles with my engine or gearbox. Anyone else noticed this? This is a 2018 bike. Thanks.
I don’t know what RPM she is doing at 60 mph in top gear, but i do know the big twins don’t like to be lugged. Engines are much happier spinning freely, at least 3000 rpm. She may still be tight at such a low mileage. Most I’ve had just kept getting smoother as the mileage went up. Keep the revs up!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket is a relatively easy way to free up the bike in the higher gears and is a pretty standard mod across KTMs, Ducatis etc.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
There is a reason it comes with 6 gears :rolleyes:

Most bikes do not like being lugged, and it is considered by the advanced brigade to be a poor practice as whatever gear your in should be responsive - both ways, i.e. rolling off should cause a noticeable amount of engine braking and rolling on should cause a noticeable amount of acceleration.

Four cylinder bikes with their many egg cup pistons are smoother at very low revs so you can get away with running them just above idle even in high gears...

...the two dustbin pistons in your new bike will not allow that, which is good as it will force you into using a more appropriate gear - call it a feature.

I have an 1190 and a 1290 and the latter is noticeably smoother, I always found the 1190 felt pretty lumpy below 65 if I tired to accelerate, but think the 1290 does hold 60 fairly smoothly and can gently accelerate from that speed OK.....

…..but who buys one of these to accelerate slowly?

On slow roads, or in slow conditions I often use 5th, or even 4th and in 30mph zones 3rd is probably the "right" choice - and the 1190 would not hold 30 very well in 4th, but again I can just about get away with it on the 1290.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the feedback. Unless I'm in hooligan mode I'm typically in 3rd @30, 4th @40 and so on. I'll leave it in 5th at 60 from now on until I get to 70 and above non-hooligan. Think the engine is still pretty tight with such low mileage.

Aside from that and other than a software glitch which need reflashing and some coolant burping issues where I had to top the reservoir up twice the bike has been brilliant. The only niggle so far is some heat on the back of my legs in hot weather but my previous Triumph was just the same but on the inside of my legs. Fantastic machine! ?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
On most B road rides on my Superduke I rarely get out of 4th. Most big twins don't like going below 4000 rpm under power. Just change down. There's no need to race through the gearbox to get into 6th as soon as possible and there's no economy advantage in running top gear. If you want to cruise smoothly and economically find the sweet spot in the rev range (whatever that is for the 1290 Adv - maybe different to the Superduke or the 1190) and whichever gear in that rev band keeps you at the speed you want to hold, that's the right gear. Don't get hung up on which gear that happens to be, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
6th gear is noticeably taller than 5 on the S, not sure if same on other models, but 60 is close for 6th to labour a little in my view.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
There's a big gap between 5th and 6th on the Superduke as well. Less so on the 1190. In fact the 1190 is one of the few bikes that never feels over-geared. It pulls hard in sixth and it doesn't feel like an overdrive. But the 1190 is smoother and much less thudding low down than the 1290s.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
There's a big gap between 5th and 6th on the Superduke as well. Less so on the 1190. In fact the 1190 is one of the few bikes that never feels over-geared. It pulls hard in sixth and it doesn't feel like an overdrive. But the 1190 is smoother and much less thudding low down than the 1290s.
Do you mean superdukes 1290s?

The 1290 Adventure is actually a LOT smoother than the 1190 low down, and the "new" SDGT will have an engine based on the 1290 adventures so it too may be smoother than the older 1290's.

Both the 1190 and 1290 adventure pull hard in top gear, even swapping from one to the other I struggle to notice much difference once they are spinning above 4k, I think the 1290 is a bit quicker, but the 1190 feels more "alive" with a bit more vibration, slightly more growl and the extra pitch and yaw when accelerating / decelerating.

I have now figured out which one I prefer, it happens to be whichever one I am riding at the time :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've just had a 16T front sprocket fitted to my 1290 Superduke, 80mph now comes up at 5000rpm in 6th and means it now gets some use where with the std 17T the bike struggled to pull 6th below 90mph - not a lot of use most of the time. The other benefit of gearing down is that I'm now regularly using the full rev range of the bike and getting the most out of the engine. For the sake of £35 for the sprocket and 15 minutes labour at the bikes first service it's been a bit of a revelation.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Do you mean superdukes 1290s?

The 1290 Adventure is actually a LOT smoother than the 1190 low down, and the "new" SDGT will have an engine based on the 1290 adventures so it too may be smoother than the older 1290's.

Both the 1190 and 1290 adventure pull hard in top gear, even swapping from one to the other I struggle to notice much difference once they are spinning above 4k, I think the 1290 is a bit quicker, but the 1190 feels more "alive" with a bit more vibration, slightly more growl and the extra pitch and yaw when accelerating / decelerating.

I have now figured out which one I prefer, it happens to be whichever one I am riding at the time :)
The 1190/1290 engine spec are very similar, however one notable difference is the heavier crank assembly on the 1290. May well account for the above. Cheers Nige.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have a 1290 Adv T, and have noticed that 6th is really only good for 60+.

Apart from that, loving it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The 1190/1290 engine spec are very similar, however one notable difference is the heavier crank assembly on the 1290. May well account for the above. Cheers Nige.
KTM made big changes for 2017 with the new 1290S/R and 1090 models to get them up to the latest emissions standards so the new 1290's are much smoother than the original 1290 Super Adventure (SA-T) and pre 2019 SD-GT.

I think the new for 2109 SD-GT is based on the later 1290 engine, whereas the old model and 1290T were effectively bored out 1190's.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
KTM made big changes for 2017 with the new 1290S/R and 1090 models to get them up to the latest emissions standards so the new 1290's are much smoother than the original 1290 Super Adventure (SA-T) and pre 2019 SD-GT.

I think the new for 2109 SD-GT is based on the later 1290 engine, whereas the old model and 1290T were effectively bored out 1190's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've a 2015 1290 Adv T. It had a 16 tooth front on it when I bought it. I've subsequently changed back to the stock 17. Most of my riding is high speed a roads so I thought the 17 would be better. 6th is now a no no for 60mph cruising but I don't often cruise at 60... ahem. I'm usually looking for an overtake and 5th works great most of the time. I do notice that 1st to 5th are quite close ratio, 6th is a much bigger jump. I think it's meant to be a "motorway" gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts

60 mph I'm usually in 4th gear or 5th gear only if not accelerating. I think the bike is trying to tell you that you are in the wrong gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cheers for the feedback. Unless I'm in hooligan mode I'm typically in 3rd @30, 4th @40 and so on. I'll leave it in 5th at 60 from now on until I get to 70 and above non-hooligan. Think the engine is still pretty tight with such low mileage.

Aside from that and other than a software glitch which need reflashing and some coolant burping issues where I had to top the reservoir up twice the bike has been brilliant. The only niggle so far is some heat on the back of my legs in hot weather but my previous Triumph was just the same but on the inside of my legs. Fantastic machine! ?
It sounds like you might be overfilling the coolant..

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2018 SAS used to be like that in 6th gear at 60. While in for a service the tech noticed it was on a 100bhp Belgian fuel map!! Much better now.

Apparently when they've been updating the software on some bikes, where it should select the correct map automatically, it wasn't doing that. So they check every bike that's plugged in now!

Testament to how good the engine is that I hadn't noticed much difference for the month it was like that.

I too came from a 1050 Triple which could go lower speed in 6th gear but v-twins are a bit different. Had a few v-twins and they're all like that. If you've not had one before you'll get used to it in no time.

Getting more miles on it will also help.

Daz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts