KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested, what's everyone else's opinion?.....not impressed personally and after the Dealer charged me for the privilege of deactivating the feature (charge dictated by KTM and not the Dealer apparently) felt the need to contact KTM UK (why is there no fcuking telephone number for KTM??!!).

KtmContactForm said:
Hi, my bike had its first service on Monday at Fowlers of Bristol.I asked for the automatic turn signal / indicator cancellation feature to be switch off as I find it a distraction at best (checking that it has indeed cancelled / hasn't cancelled too soon) and more importantly in my opinion is potentially dangerous (e.g. if for instance turning left onto a road that has a left turn within a short distance...if the auto cancellation perimeters have not been reached any vehicle waiting to exit that turn may do so in front of you on seeing your left indicator still on. Also there are often instances when it cancels too soon, exits on Motorways for instance, indicate at the first count-down marker and the indicator cancels before you exit! There are many other instances where the automatic function is counter productive.)
I was charged £32.40 + VAT for the privilege of the removal of this feature which I take exception to as in my opinion the ATIR system is flawed (cannot be relied upon in all situations) and therefore could in certain circumstances put the rider in danger.
The Owners Manual states:
"Info: An automatic turn signal switch-off function (ATIR) is available as a software feature."
...'available' infers you don't have to have it (there really should be an option via the matrix display to activate/deactivate this feature i.e. giving rider's the choice).
Additionally I find it strange that I have to press and hold the turn signal button to cancel signals i.e. not just an instant press and release (like every other bike I have owned and the expected 'norm'). I forgot to mention this at Fowlers - another setting that can be changed via the KTM Dealer Diagnostic computer?
The Owners Manual states:
"To switch off the turn signal, press the turn signal switch towards the switch case."
I look forward to hearing from you
Regards
Andy

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Premier Bikes (supplying dealer) turned mine off for free at the first service. For me it canceled too quickly., and after riding for *cough* years, don't really need it.

Agree though, it's strange it's not something within "Settings" or some such.

cheers

Marke

·
Registered
354 Posts
Never heard about having to hold it. Mine turn off with a simple press. I've not found them turn off too soon for me yet.

With regards them cancelling and the risk with junctions, I only have it there as a catch all in case I forget. Sometimes I let it do it e.g. motorway exits etc but that's the exception rather than the rule.

What I don't understand is why they don't make these options available in the Settings page....or I'd like some PC software to tinker myself as I do on my car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
felt the need to contact KTM UK (why is there no fcuking telephone number for KTM??!!).
You mean the tel phone no that doesn't work ! Anyways you cannot speak to them because your not important enough, so try this instead.

[email protected]

They may get back to you if they feel like it or if you keep sending the same email every 12hrs, usually works.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
Just use it normally? And if you forget to cancel it, like we have all done at some stage, it will do it for you. KTM would probably argue it’s a safety feature. Manufacturers can’t stop adding innovative ideas because you are all old cunts! (I’m 50:D)

People also complain about QS too, then just shift with the clutch.
It’s not one or the other.

Why would they have a phone number when they don’t need too? I wouldn’t. Imagine the calls they’d get!
Like a 5 minute rant about auto cancelling indicators and how unsafe they are?;)

But I agree, they shouldn’t charge you.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
Never heard about having to hold it. Mine turn off with a simple press. I've not found them turn off too soon for me yet.

With regards them cancelling and the risk with junctions, I only have it there as a catch all in case I forget. Sometimes I let it do it e.g. motorway exits etc but that's the exception rather than the rule.

What I don't understand is why they don't make these options available in the Settings page....or I'd like some PC software to tinker myself as I do on my car.
Your second paragraph is spot on.
Last paragraph is probably to do with some legal bullshit. KTM need your permission to turn it off.:confused:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....Anyways you cannot speak to them because your not important enough.....
Which one of my so called mates you been talking to?!

Just use it normally? And if you forget to cancel it....
Indeed but still an issue cancelling too early ;-)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
This is what the book says...

An automatic turn signal switch-off function (ATIR) is available as a software feature.
The ATIR function uses a time and distance counter.
If the turn signal has been on for at least 10 seconds and 150 meters of riding
distance, the turn signal is switched off.
If the vehicle is stationary, both counters are stopped.
If the turn signal switch is reactivated, both counters are reset.

I better check to see if mine have been cancelling early, don't think I normally look.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't still cancel manually at times that's where the greater risk is imho.....for instance turning left onto a road that has a left turn within a short distance...if the auto cancellation perimeters have not been reached any vehicle waiting to exit that turn may do so in front of you on seeing your left indicator still on ;-)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Mine was not enabled from new, so I use as normal.. Anyone who has paid to have the auto feature disabled have been ripped off...as per handbook, "it's available as a software feature", so you don't have to have it. The main cause of concern would be "cancelling too early" as said in thread.

Like many modern technical so-called advances, not required and problematic.. We should all be capable of doing what driver/rider aids are now doing for us..it can only reduce the driving standards which are already at an all time low .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine was not enabled from new, so I use as normal.. Anyone who has paid to have the auto feature disabled have been ripped off...as per handbook, "it's available as a software feature", so you don't have to have it. The main cause of concern would be "cancelling too early" as said in thread.

Like many modern technical so-called advances, not required and problematic.. We should all be capable of doing what driver/rider aids are now doing for us..it can only reduce the driving standards which are already at an all time low .
I do not understand what you are saying about it being a “software feature”. There is no way to disable it without having the dealer do it. And they can charge to do it if they so desire.

My friend and I who bought Superdukes a few weeks apart will probably disable ours now that we know we can. We both agree that it self cancels way too early. I have gotten in the habit of pushing it a second time as I approach a turn, but I’d prefer not to relay on remembering to do it

I agree self cancelling is a safety feature, but KTM just doesn’t get it right. I’ve had the feature on other bikes that work better.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I do not understand what you are saying about it being a “software feature”. There is no way to disable it without having the dealer do it. And they can charge to do it if they so desire.

My friend and I who bought Superdukes a few weeks apart will probably disable ours now that we know we can. We both agree that it self cancels way too early. I have gotten in the habit of pushing it a second time as I approach a turn, but I’d prefer not to relay on remembering to do it

I agree self cancelling is a safety feature, but KTM just doesn’t get it right. I’ve had the feature on other bikes that work better.

That's word for word from owners handbook..It's a software feature which can be enabled or disabled by your dealer. It shouldn't cost anything to have it disabled. That's why most do it free on first service, to your preferred setting..But, like as been said, should be able to do it from settings menu ourselves.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's word for word from owners handbook..It's a software feature which can be enabled or disabled by your dealer. It shouldn't cost anything to have it disabled. That's why most do it free on first service, to your preferred setting..But, like as been said, should be able to do it from settings menu ourselves.
Hill hold is a software feature too, but it’s not free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts