KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a smell of coolant when my 17 1290 Super AdvT (Non TFT display) is running, there is no coolant leeking onto the floor (paper put down to check), therefore i can only assume it is burning off the engine and or exhausts.

Coolant level is between low and high in the expansion bottle.

any and all advice is welcomed.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Find and check the vent pipe from the reservoir, I'm guessing it's near the foot pegs.
Does it look damp?

Check the radiator cap. I have heard that they can leak around where the 90 deg pipe fitting comes out from the plastic cap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Find and check the vent pipe from the reservoir, I'm guessing it's near the foot pegs.
Does it look damp?

Check the radiator cap. I have heard that they can leak around where the 90 deg pipe fitting comes out from the plastic cap.

Thanks for the info, ill check those this evening and report back in.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks for the info, ill check those this evening and report back in.
You only need the smallest of leaks to smell the coolant whilst the engine is hot. Degreaser, very bright torch and or talc powder is the way to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get a smell of coolant when my 17 1290 Super AdvT (Non TFT display) is running, there is no coolant leeking onto the floor (paper put down to check), therefore i can only assume it is burning off the engine and or exhausts.

Coolant level is between low and high in the expansion bottle.

any and all advice is welcomed.
HI Nigel, many thanks for your reponse, are you (or anyone) aware of possible common or known leak areas, as the engine area is fairly tight, and to avoid removing too much bodywork if I could focus in on specific areas that would be great.
Rgds David

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi again. Mine was a really small weep on the top rad hose which hadn’t been pushed on far enough to the radiator stub, also I replaced the clip with a narrow band jubilee type. It was such a small weep that if it had been water dripping on the hot engine instead of coolant giving off a smell I would not have been aware of it, coolant level not a noticeable
drop In level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts