KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out with the lad last weekend testing his new bike and it sounds like the clutch to me is slipping . It doesnt do it straight away and always when under load/ being on the clutch . Ive had a quick look inside and its bellville spring is in position 2 so I set it to 3 and its still the same . Ive read up on a post by tetley stating that "the less preload the harder the spring presses on the plate" So should I set it to 1 ?
Failing this does anyone know of an uprated Bellville spring for a 150 TPi out yet .
Ive attached a vid , not the best, but you can hear it.

https://youtu.be/rNK1P9qPDtk

Bob

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
My 19 husky with the bell end clutch does it to, has done from new. Screams and screeches doing sudden bit inputs of throttle and dumping the clutch. Launching up a no run up hill in third is a prime example. Previous 18 normal clutch was superior if you ask me. It works fine everywhere else but I don’t think it’ll make old bones like the 18 one did easily.

I’ve tried different oils. No change. I have put the stock long silencer back on mine as it gives less boom off the bottom, this helps a little. It’s a quieter screech but still not quiet in terms of clutch. My next step was to change the setting like you’ve done but now you say no change I won’t bother. A slightly less aggressive pv setting also helps but doesn’t cure. I was going to open it up at 50 hours and replace the clutch as a matter of course.

What doesn’t make sense is the 250/300 has much more torque but no screech? Makes no sense. It’s also not the Mickey Mouse Magura clutch MC either if your Brembo is doing the same.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My 19 husky with the bell end clutch does it to, has done from new. Screams and screeches doing sudden bit inputs of throttle and dumping the clutch. Launching up a no run up hill in third is a prime example. Previous 18 normal clutch was superior if you ask me. It works fine everywhere else but I don’t think it’ll make old bones like the 18 one did easily.

I’ve tried different oils. No change. I have put the stock long silencer back on mine as it gives less boom off the bottom, this helps a little. It’s a quieter screech but still not quiet in terms of clutch. My next step was to change the setting like you’ve done but now you say no change I won’t bother. A slightly less aggressive pv setting also helps but doesn’t cure. I was going to open it up at 50 hours and replace the clutch as a matter of course.

What doesn’t make sense is the 250/300 has much more torque but no screech? Makes no sense. It’s also not the Mickey Mouse Magura clutch MC either if your Brembo is doing the same.
Is the sx the exact same setup?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Ive read up on a post by tetley stating that "the less preload the harder the spring presses on the plate" So should I set it to 1 ?

Bob
The question about pre-load is an interesting one, it would good to see some sort of graph that shows pre-load verses pressure if one existed. I guess if there is no preload on the clutch then the pressure plate would exert no pressure on the clutch stack but equally if enough preload is placed on the plate is will start to go 'over centre' and the pressure that it places on the clutch stack would probably reduce. Off the top of my head I guess that if whatever the height of the washer is reduced by 1/2 then that would probably be the point at which most pressure is placed on the clutch stack but that is a total guess! In other words if you placed the washer on a flat surface and measured the centre of the washer and it was lets say 5mm high, then pushing it down to 2.5mm would give maximum pressure on the clutch stack. This is all a guess though!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so as the bike was under a month old I took it back to Premier bikes in Didcot. They looked at the clutch and said it showed signs of heat and needed replacing. A warranty claim was submitted. Now a week later it's not covered by warranty and I have to pay up ! It's done 5 hours and it slipped from day one ....No no no I'm told it's rider error but why didn't any of his previous bikes clutch slip then I reply ..Well clutches aren't covered by warranty as there consumables.
RIGHT I buy a new bike every year for my son and sometimes if works been good one for myself. I won't be purchasing any more fucking KTMs .They can stick it !
So Pindie as your bikes clutch slips as well your riding it incorrect . You got to love KTM 🖕haven't ya

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Ha ha, KTM are utter shisters!!!
It has been suggested to me to try a non-synthetic mineral engine oil. Apparently good stuff will make it slip- odd thing is I’ve never had issues in previous clutches until this cheapskate DDS one. I’ve not tried the mineral oil yet but will. Odd thing is it came from the factory just like yours- slipping! What oil do they use from new? Synthetic!! Work that one out.

The 150 is an excellent package once you’ve sorted it out. It’s only the clutch, suspension and starter to sort😂😂😂

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I've just picked the bike up Premier have not charged for labour and discounted the parts so I feel atleast they have tried but KTM need to sort themselves out.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If the bike was under 30 days old you could have rejected it in writing and got a full refund. Then buy another. Then tell KTM what you've done and ask them what it just cost them. Maybe next time they won't suggest a knackered clutch at 5 hours is 'rider error'.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
That’s a good point Papercup- worth anyone who’s buying new to be aware of. Get some hours on it very quickly to check for issues. If bad. It goes back.

Premier have a good rep. Sounds like they themselves tried but I agree that KTM need to improve their customer care aspects a lot.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never knew that .They held onto the bike for a week and upto that time never earned me of the warranty claim been rejected . As I collected it today it's just over it's 30 days now. Shit surely KTM aren't that devious ..

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought I'd update this post .New clutch plates fitted and the slipping seems to have gone. Unfortunately an hour in to riding at Cowm Saturday it started running rough and sounds really rattlely from the top end so its back at the dealers today .I'll hopefully know more tomorrow .
7hrs now from new.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Don't take any of their shit. This 30 day warranty is rubbish and you still have your statutory rights. Race bike or not, something is not fit for purpose of it doesn't perform as any reasonable person can expect. Seeing as the inspection and replacement of clutch plates is in the manual, it's fair to say that considerably fewer hours from a normally maintained and new bike is not reasonable. Same thing goes for this top end and anything else for that matter.

Your contract of sale is with the dealer and not with KTM so don't be fucked about by the dealer blaming KTM for anything.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Blimey. Your not having much luck with it. My 18 150xcw was a nightmare at first but eventually it was very good.

A group of us call it 150 psychosis. It’s a very real condition and messes with your head. Next thing you know the bike will be amazing. Then something else happens. It swings back and forth.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its getting worse ! I've spoken to Premier bikes today and there quoting the bike has cold seized due incorrect warming it up. I told them I'm not accepting that as I bloody always warm up my bikes before riding and it only started playing up and hour into the ride and how long do they want me to warm it up ,a day maybe ? I've also called citizen advice and I have multiple options but basically they are not adhering to to the consumers right act as you guys have already advised me. They have gone back to KTM but I think I have a legal fight on my hands .
To be continued

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
This process is proving one thing. 150 still works out the most expensive (and fun when working) bike KTM make. Your TPi is working out around £1200 an hour so far? My 18 was like that. It did settle down though.o_O

Reality is I could’ve bought an Erzberg 300 for what it cost to make it right but would I swap a sorted 150 for an Erzberg 300? No way.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
This is 2020 you are paying for the brand image not a motorbike that works, just remember that when you are pushing it back to your van with the next problem you will feel much better(y)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Get a refund. I did that with a new GasGas that vibrated like a steam hammer.

Buy a Beta 200RR. Small, light bike. Handles really well, goes like a scalded cat and is solidly built. Probably some money back in your pocket, too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's my son's bike a 200 RR is a bit to heavy . Nice bike though. I honestly think they are going the route of a "cold seized engine" as a get out .At no time has it seized. Just can't believe KTM are so poor when it comes to warranty or is it the dealer ? Fuck knows

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
It’s KTM. They are not known for customer help. Dealers are caught up in the mess. One thing I wonder now is back in 2016 when bikes sold like beans at Tesco’s dealers seemed to help more as they could afford to. Now they have all their cash tied up and bikes needing warranty work. Work that KTM is likely to refuse. It’s a terrible way to treat customers buying the most expensive dirt bikes you can buy. It’s a real shame.

Perhaps a Beta factory 125? Nice bike. Cheaper. Comes with KYB.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts