KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from my other posts, picked up a tidy and genuine 50-odd hours one owner 2015 150SX for the mrs to go moto on (quads not allowed on the track ). It comes with a top end kit spare which I’m going to fit and lots of jetting options with needles I don’t think I have…

Is 50hrs ok or pushing it for one of these on a piston and are you still looking at a bottom end when required or every 3-4 pistons?

Manual says new crank and bottom end bearings at 80hrs… it’s not been ridden hard and will be ridden less aggressively by the mrs (ordering a flywheel weight for it).

Any advice on jetting these things?

The jetting tables are good and it even has settings for sand use which the EXCs don’t have… will be some hard pack / sand use whilst she readjusts to two wheels. Richer is better I believe for longevity and rideability, are the MX setup needles more aggressive tapers? It’s a 38PWK same as my old 200/2… got some equivalent jets but not the needles I don’t think.

I know everyone loves a jetting thread and misses them…

Tidy wee bike, if she doesn’t line it, I’m keeping it.

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
Nice!

My 18 &19 150 use the later motor and I was on a 36 Keihin. My pilot was 45, N1EF needle in clip 4 and 182 main, probably go up on each setting due to 38mm carb. You could try that but you might find it’s gurgly with a novice rider. N1EG works well. If you want tamer power then try Suzuki needles like NEDW/NECW.

200 hours on a bottom ends been fine for me. Piston every 30-40 hours. 60-1 pre mix. Rock Oil or Exol.

Reactions: Miner

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pindie… kinda looking forward to get back into the world of jetting. Need to widen my arsenal of jet needles though.

[mention]ktm808 [/mention]is also the man for these little bikes…

Had a play around the block on it last night, it’s a frisky wee thing, very late on the pipe but can tweak that out with the power valve (inshallah) and if she doesn’t like it, any excuse for a factory pipe. Shame it’ll be lowered before I can wring it’s neck in anger, probably for the best.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
8oz Stealthy flywheel weight ordered… every little helps. Can try the soft map with it too, see what it’s like.

The ODI grips come with different throttle cams too… sure if she can drift a 525XC ATV at speed she’ll be ok with the smoker.

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
Fit a domino throttle. It’s the best. End of. New cable to. Light as hell.

PV is adjustable. It’s under the 30mm ally cap. Only tweak by 1/4 to 1/8th turns max each step. In holds it back. Out gets lively. Don’t go to far out as the balls can fly out the timer.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PV is adjustable, same setup as my old 200/2… forgot about the balls coming out. Well remembered.

Been through the jets, need to get ordering some needles plus the 185 & 202… just the ones from the 38 & 36PWKs from the 200 & 300 EXCs. Any of these any use for trying to soften up a 150SX?

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
I used NOZG for a while in my 150. It’s a half clip richer version of N1EG.

I’m running NOZG in clip 4 in the beta now. On paper it is far to rich but in reality it’s lovely. Smooth full torquey power. I think it was stumo who suggested the g diameter needle in a 250. Interestingly a g needle is stock on the smooth and torquey Sherco.

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
In theory that should help bottom end.

My jetting spec works fine here but your temps and air pressure is very different. Try a g diameter needle and go from there. Maybe up on the main for sand?

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SX/XC actually comes with sand settings in the manual…

I’m in the 0-300m range 20-50’C… it’s hella rich. Big jump.

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
Smaller. Check this but as far as I know it’s around 1-2 steps leaner on the 36 from 38.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some pic spam after the other post… lowered forks and shock, lowering link, low seat, new top end, new Mitas Terraforce S-M tyres. Bike running crisp, mrs can get on it, kickstart it and take off. Flywheel weight definitely makes it lug a bit better, had a go on it myself when I first got it back. See how we go.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[mention]Pindie [/mention]discovered after being relieved that it’s got proper CC forks and not the 4CS ones with surprise and some trepidation that they’ve got a nitrogen bladder in them and not an ICS spring like the cones. Going to make attempting to service them at home a bugger.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts