KTM Owners Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
@Miner Can you please tell me what's the name of the app and where I can get it?

Thx
Steve

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Yeah, good app that. It never seems that far out.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Many thanks fellas, brilliant 👍

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Decided after taking some guidance from a mate who’s a 144/150/200 die hard to go back to the 40 pilot… [mention]steveman [/mention]was right, ended up jetting it for being clutched onto the pipe like how I’d ride it. Was a bit too boggy when out in mixed terrain.

Keeping the 185(+1) main jet but swapping the N1EI for NOZG which is the EXC needle for the 38PWK. If I’m right in what I’ve figured out, it’ll be a better delivery than the N1 earlier on but be better with the bigger pilot also.

Or if that’s a load of bollocks, I’ll order the Suzuki needles as he recommends them too (a few others too ).

Any idea how the Suzuki ones vary from the KTM ones in terms of straight diameter and taper profile? Just been looking online on my phone, really merits a sit down at a computer to dig into the data online.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
N1E needles are half a clip richer than NOZ. This means if you had N1EG and NOZG they are exactly the same just one is half a clip more. Last letter is diameter.

Suzuki needles are longer in the diameter (straight) section. This means it’s far more stable fueling at 1/8th throttle-where a lot time is spent. The NECJ needle works amazing in 300s because of this and you don’t open the throttle as far. In a 125 you’ll go to sleep. Small bores need fuel. For this the NOZ/N1E needles would be better unless a novice. For a 150/125 go G/F diameter in the UK.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Ahh ok… that makes sense about the parallel taper length, hadn’t sussed that out. Cheers Pindie.

What I had sussed was that the N1EJ>I>H were 2.74, 2.73, 2.72 on the parallel but the NOZG I put in was 2.69 or 2.7mm… so it’ll be richer on the straight section but looked like a different taper (richer at part throttle, leaner at WOT, offset the main jet?) to the N1EI I took out. The NOZG is one of the needles from the 2002 200/2 and was the same temp/elevation range as the one I took out, from the 125 EXC chart. It was the leanest NOZ needle I had, the other is an E.

See how it feels tomorrow… rider is a novice so may benefit from the Suzuki needle. She quickly sussed how to clutch it onto the pipe previously though.

I’ve got N8RG/H needles from the 300 there… dunno where they slot in? Assume they’re leaner?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Took the NOZG out, was too rich in the first part of the throttle, causing it to burble. Going to order the Suzuki ones to try.

Also set the power valve to the Langston setting. Going out tomorrow morning, will have a play about with it then.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Try a H diameter. That’ll help clear up that 1/8th throttle region.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Cheers. I’ll give it a try, they’re (SX needles) all a bit rich in that area but they’re often snapped open hard… the H diameter was 0.02 bigger I think than the N1EI.

Set the power valve to the old Langston setting, couldn’t see the upper mark till I got on my hands and knees then I had a flashback of setting the 200 up… tried a couple of different settings to see what it was like then stuck it there. Drives a lot better for her, lugs on a bit better.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I was just thinking that you should try the Suzuki needles. Be wary of the NECJ in it though. That’s a pretty lean needle for a small bore in sand.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Aye, my mate who lives in Oz runs NECJ/DJ summer/winter in his 200/2, he used to run 144’s and advised the same. Still got my old 200/2 there, might be ideal for it.

Stock carb probs won’t go back in the 300, toyed with the idea of trying the 36PWK in the old bike and the 150SX. It’s a short body though… might stay up on the brainfarts section of the garage whiteboard…

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Suzuki needles just arrived… all the needles are straight diameter 2.74mm which equivalent to the N1EJ, currently running the N1EI which is 2.73, albeit with a 185 instead of 182 main jet… which needle series would be 2.73mm?

If it’s good I’ll order another couple to try… leaner initially with the bigger main may be ok.

Never seen these needles before, tapers are all different which is interesting, NECJ looks too lean for the 150SX indeed. Think I’ll start with the NEDW first and see how it is….

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
2.73 will be i or W diameter needles. They use W to save the confusion with i or 1 I think.

In all these needle tests keep an eye on running temps, hanging idle or pinking. It’ll most likely be fine with a beginner using a lean needle but then if someone faster takes it for a spin, that is likely to be when it goes wrong.

I used NEDW in my 200 with great results. It ran clean and torquey with very predictable power. Would tolerate a steady throttle on the road. It was a great needle to help my transition from 4t back to 2t.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts