1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Simple to fit, lose fuck all top end.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
mine has a larger rear sprocket as well so my figures may not be appropriate to your bike. mine tops out at 125mph at the moment, I believe with only the front sprocket done its around 135? why youd actually want to be doing that speed on a SM for any more than a couple of seconds i dont know.. im hardly ever over a ton on the 950 these days.

think its pretty easy as long as you can get the original one off. i hear they can put up a bit of a fight. there's been a very recent thread about this. try a search;)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
yup that was me. i would guess you will have the same troubles as me. Its worth the fight though!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
mine topped out at 140 ish but its the acceleration buzz that makes it the bike it is !

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
I couldn't give a toss about top speed but the change of sprocket completely transforms the bike and makes it much more ridable as IMHO it suits the gearing far better.
You can use 6th at 60 now wihtout bogging if you're in cruise mode.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The best and cheapest 950 /990 SM (or pre 2007 SD) mode you can do, It makes hardly any difference to top speed.....this is the gearing it should have come with out of the box (Put it this way you will not be putting a 17 back on )

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I went for KTM part.........so can only comment on that

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I went for KTM part.........so can only comment on that
Me too. There's very little in the difference price wise, but the ktm part has rubber on it, which helps reduce the noise apparantly..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Me too. There's very little in the difference price wise, but the ktm part has rubber on it, which helps reduce the noise apparantly..
If and when you also plan to ride in the dirt from time to time, that rubber will be bad.
For streetuse only the rubberized version is perfect.
Cheers.

Erik.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
If and when you also plan to ride in the dirt from time to time, that rubber will be bad.
For streetuse only the rubberized version is perfect.
Cheers.

Erik.

Not plannin on taking me sm 990 thru the dirt!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have 16t front sprocket, I saw 137mph with full luggage - GPS speed on a autobahn last week. It was still going but it started to weave and wobble so I backed off!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry for hijacking the thread,

But seeing as there is a wealth of experiance on this forum, the reason I signed up, I would like to ask what the best front and rear sprocket size's are for a 640 LC4.

Top end is of no interest to me as its all about blasting out of corners and embarrising Saxo drivers at the lights.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts