KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to lockdown, flooded tracks, and lockdown again, I've had a whole 1 hour on my new bike. It did feel like it's jetted a bit off, almost like it's a bit choked. It came with a load of jets and the owner said he used a Lectron carb. I assume he tried the jets and wasn't happy. What are you running, or suggest to run as a base?

I'm tempted to just change the top end now, but after that, how often are you changing/checking piston/rings (I know that's a "how long is a piece of string" based on how you ride etc)?

Piston kit wise, had no problems with Vertex, Wiesco and Mitaka over the years, but I know brands change in quality over time. What do you use?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I don't know anything about the 17 bike but I presume that the previous own has removed the Lectron and re-fitted the stock Mikuni? Knowing what carb you have will help others with the jetting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi yes. They removed the upgraded carb and suggested I get one. Back to standard now.

I asked on FB and had this "Pj 42.5 mj 460 nj 43/74 clip 2 a/s 1 and half turns out for winter 2 turns for summer and do the block gasket and oring on the brass seat what the needle valve sits in stops fuel pissing out overflow constantly" so might try that as a base setting

Nice one. I used Vertex before. Also Wossner in a KTM. Think I might just change it regardless, at least I know what hours I'm on then.

thanks

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have a 36mm Lectron kicking about (not the very latest one, but the one before that), I spent ages setting it up on my 2013 300, in the end I thought it was pretty good but then I switched to a 38mm Keihin fitted with a STIC metering block, it blows the Lectron into the weeds with regards to throttle response and bottom end torque. For one reason or another I re-fitted the Lectron just as a test last summer, it was CRAP! The Keihin is back on the bike now.

I don't want to hijack your thread but if you are considering fitting another carb do not go for a Lectron or a smart carb! (In my opinion)

As for pistons, just go for Vertex, they are OEM which makes them a 'safe bet'

Check out the kick starter idler gear bush mod too, its debatable whether it helps but it certainly won't make that area of you engine any worse!

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
You sure it doesn’t just need ragging?

Phone eurotek and ask for a top end kit they’ll sort you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Asked the questions on FB too. Potentially just needs a good ride. I wouldn't upgrade the carb until I tried jetting.

On a side note, someone did mentioning a very worrying flaw, the mudguard rubbing on the shock mount. Sure enough, one side looks like it should be say 8mm, the other is about 2mm at best! Will be getting my mate to strengthen that, as I'm not paying £700 for a swingarm! Apparently it's a known problem on the 2017 + excs...good job the guy mentioned it!

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
You'll be close with the jetting you've mentioned. I'm using 45pilot, 460 main, 43-73 needle, clip2

Check the float height , can't remember what it is but it'll show up in a search, hold the card at45 deg to check the height

The overflow pipe needs to be looped or you'll lose lots of fuel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers stumo, will sort that.

Found out about the mudguard/shock mount rub issue yesterday...and mine doesn't look good!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts