KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure you all know, but found out about this issue after I got the bike. Checked and sure enough...

Not quite sure what to do as it's dangerously thin. Ordered a neoprene shock protector, although putting big washers on the nut to gap the mudguard would probably be better.

Anyone had any experience of using a welder to strengthen it? I assume it's ali.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Common problem - the USA answer seems to be to stick a piece of aluminium plate on with some JB Weld

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
That is very thin ..... l'd be getting that welded personally. I would say that the "GB weld sacrificial aluminium patch" route is a preventative measure rather than a repair.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Poor bit of work by KTM though as it is so common, and has been a long time, you'd think they would have resolved it by now.

·
Premium Member
31,547 Posts
I think weld may distort the hole. Stick some metal onto it with araldite

Reactions: ktm808

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
I just put a 12mm cable tie (the type you bodge tyres on with) around the whole section. That worked well on my XCw. Bloody shit design.

I’ve yet to hear of the actual piece snapping yet though?

·
Registered
703 Posts
i spaced mine with washers but a mate didn't bother and his wore to about there before he did anything. Stuck a small block on with araldite and spaced it and it went on for a few years before he flogged it. Yeh, shit design!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Does that orange disk actually roll? It looks like it might judging by the o-ring tyre fitted to it and also what looks like a bearing in the middle....quiet clever!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Till it wears through the flap then back to square one,!
In that case slavens needs to come up with a roller on the flap that rolls against the roller on the swingarm! maybe the rolling action could be used to charge the battery or something useful like that! 🤪 :poop:🤪

·
Registered
915 Posts
Does that orange disk actually roll? It looks like it might judging by the o-ring tyre fitted to it and also what looks like a bearing in the middle....quiet clever!
Yes, it does.
The kit comprises a longer bottom shock bolt with a shoulder machined in the threaded end with a central bolt hole. The washer has a central bearing and fits on the end of the bolt. He even sells replacement outer O rings!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Have you see then latest Slaven’s Mule build?

I thought I was bad at adding bits! 25k+ 😧
Mind it is a marketing tool suppose.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Have you see then latest Slaven’s Mule build?

I thought I was bad at adding bits! 25k+ 😧
Mind it is a marketing tool suppose.
I'm sure someone on this forum commented that Americans will have a huge discussion on how the latest bike from whoever is 1 lbs lighter than the old model, they then bolt 15 lbs of crap onto the bike.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just put a 12mm cable tie (the type you bodge tyres on with) around the whole section. That worked well on my XCw. Bloody shit design.

I’ve yet to hear of the actual piece snapping yet though?
Yep, sacrifical zip tie your easiest lightest option. 👍

1 - 20 of 40 Posts