KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I'm sure someone on this forum commented that Americans will have a huge discussion on how the latest bike from whoever is 1 lbs lighter than the old model, they then bolt 15 lbs of crap onto the bike.
I claim that as mine. ;)

Along with them engineering their way out of problems that don't exist.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I claim that as mine. ;)

Along with them engineering their way out of problems that don't exist.
A nice way of stating your second point is "a solution looking for a problem"

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey. Didn't get a notification of anyone responding hence no reply. Thanks all!

I've emailed KTM, not asking for free stuff, just to say this should have been a recall. If it wasn't for a random FB post in the next year or so, I'd probably have two broken legs.

Got the old "how many hours has your bike done?" back :)

I saw the washer fix after I ordered a Neoprene shock guard, it's a solution, if you don't have the wear I have. But when I sort it I’ll do that too.

Shawnz I’ve been focusing on actual mechanical things, not surface rust. But promise I will have them shiny as anything for next time mate :)

Xparauk. 127h on clock, but not sure I’d trust that, given you can just disconnect it.

Wouldn’t a professional welder be the option here?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Hey. Didn't get a notification of anyone responding hence no reply. Thanks all!

I've emailed KTM, not asking for free stuff, just to say this should have been a recall. If it wasn't for a random FB post in the next year or so, I'd probably have two broken legs.

Got the old "how many hours has your bike done?" back :)

I saw the washer fix after I ordered a Neoprene shock guard, it's a solution, if you don't have the wear I have. But when I sort it I’ll do that too.

Shawnz I’ve been focusing on actual mechanical things, not surface rust. But promise I will have them shiny as anything for next time mate :)

Xparauk. 127h on clock, but not sure I’d trust that, given you can just disconnect it.

Wouldn’t a professional welder be the option here?
I had over 400 hrs on my 17 when I sold it. The wear doesn’t get worse as in making that end part thinner. It just enlarges the contact area that the flap rubs on. So rather than making the first contact part thinner it stays pretty much the same and spreads across the contact area to the right where it’s thicker.

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
On comparing a 2020 bike with a 2010 bike, this area is now much thinner. I didnt measure, but the older bike is about twice the thickness. A cut piece of aluminium plate and araldite/j.b is the answer.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Iirc, the 2017 frame changes moved the shock location and made it more central on the swing arm. Unintended consequence seems to be this rubbing issue on the bottom mount.

Beta used to have a similar issue. The shock guard used to saw right into the swing arm itself.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Iirc, the 2017 frame changes moved the shock location and made it more central on the swing arm. Unintended consequence seems to be this rubbing issue on the bottom mount.

Beta used to have a similar issue. The shock guard used to saw right into the swing arm itself.
Sometimes at KTM they do things without thinking. They have the same horizon as turtles. Last example is the radiator hose rubbing on the engine because the engineers have lowered the rads....(250/300 TPI two strokes)

Reactions: Ship

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
Sometimes at KTM they do things without thinking. They have the same horizon as turtles. Last example is the radiator hose rubbing on the engine because the engineers have lowered the rads....(250/300 TPI two strokes)
Yeah, you need to put extra hose and cable ties to protect it!

Tokyo offroad now makes a special shaped and reinforced hose for this area.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Yeah, you need to put extra hose and cable ties to protect it!

Tokyo offroad now makes a special shaped and reinforced hose for this area.
Yes Tokyo Offroad or as an alternative check the following link. (sorry only found it in German, but th epic says it all anyway..)

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Bit of additional rad hose and cable ties is easier, and free!
Sure, that's how I would do it, just wanted to mention that there is something available from KTM.

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
Bit of additional rad hose and cable ties is easier, and free!
Should be plenty of spare rad hose about from where the rads hit the motor on the left hand side and puncture the hose?

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
I just found an english ad for the german hardparts part that Steve posted. The blurb says that the protection is required if there is an impact on full lock - no mention of design flaw. As usual.

I think the main problem is that one of the fixings for the LHS PV is slightly oversize, and subsequently projects and is in line with the hose - the projecting edge is sharp. I think that "adjusting" the fixing with a file would remove the sharp edge and the hose cutting problem.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts