KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread on here the other day but didn't get to bookmark it. Where a guy said he "used" to be a KTM dealer and had a bunch of KTM parts for these year bikes out behind his house. I cannot for the life of me find that post again. He was helping out a guy that had an old KTM.

Anyway:
Any 1987-1989 KTM250 owners/lovers on this site? If so would you post photos of your bikes in this thread and speak about modifications made, or problems you have had? Thank You.

My 1987 KTM250:1987 KTM 250 EXC - Mixon848 - Motocross Pictures - Vital MX

Everything is there. It will get a strip down. Cylinder will be checked. Gear box/Transmission will be checked.

Like seemingly every old KTM the Clutch side cover at the water impeller is corroded (bottom all the way through). That case (not the cover but the case itself) is almost impossible to find, but I have some plans.

Fork leg on the right side needs rechroming. Exhaust pipe needs a huge dent removed.

Rear of the subframe seems like it needs to be bent upward a tad.

Frame will be painted (not powder coated) in the stock color. Engine will be painted in a nice deep gray (the blue the cases are supposed to be will be tossed out the window).

Not many of these still on the trail let alone the track. The technology was way ahead of its time. Dual Disc Brakes, Upside Down Forks, DIGITAL Electronic Ignition (which always failed).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I picked up a 1987 ktm 350 2t about a month ago now with about 20hrs on it. Stolen and recovered from new it looks like idiots sprayed all the plastics black so it needs a full kit.

The magnesium waterpump/clutch cover does get damaged due to the reaction with coolant. I don't think mine is bad do just going to repair it because I seen a ally one in Germany for sale for 550 euro :O

Should not have issue with parts apart from the cover.

I'll post up pics of mine tomo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good project. Keep a thread going on ere. Always nice to see and better than the usual bollox posted on here.

:)
Thank you for being the first to reply to the thread. Yes sir, I will most certainly keep the thread going on here. Great bikes, excellent technology. Competitive today.

I painted the cases. I got most of the dents out of the exhaust pipe using the filling it with water and freezing it method. I got a new kick start return spring. A company is going to get started on creating me a replica seat cover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up a 1987 ktm 350 2t about a month ago now with about 20hrs on it. Stolen and recovered from new it looks like idiots sprayed all the plastics black so it needs a full kit.

The magnesium waterpump/clutch cover does get damaged due to the reaction with coolant. I don't think mine is bad do just going to repair it because I seen a ally one in Germany for sale for 550 euro :O

Should not have issue with parts apart from the cover.

I'll post up pics of mine tomo.
Look forward to seeing your bike. I have been looking at KTM350's since I got this bike. I have been reading all of the Magazine tests on them. If a 350 turns up in my area cheap, I will most certainly be picking it up and adding it to the stable.

And I don't know what it is with kids spray bombing these old wonderful KTM's black. Mine was also spray bombed black before.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Think i have a rear wheel off this age ktm if anyones interested ill post up a photo !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blowtorch and compressed air method gets all the dents out. You can get a pipe near perfect with one.
Thank You. I got all of the dents out of the Exhaust Pipe by filling it with Water, blocking off each end and Freezing it in the Freezer for 10 hours.

I was going to use the Blowtorch and Compressed Air method until I saw a video on youtube of one Exhaust Pipe turning into a Flamming Rocket Ship. It could of ended up real bad for the guy. I don't want to die or burn down my home so the Water and Freezer method had to work for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts