KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All

Im am looking for advice and feedback on 100% waterproof 2 piece rain gear to wear over my Adventure 2 piece suit.

Im confused on sizing as my adenturer suit is quite bulky, how big should I go for the over Jacket and Pants.

For those of us living in wet countries (Ireland) We all know the difficulty on putting on the 1 peice, especially getting it over the shoulder, and having to take into account doing it when its pissing down, and the bigger problems getting them off.

Im looking for a 2 piece to over come the above issues, but welcome any advice.

How much bigger does the jacket need to be?
How much bigger do the pants need to be?
Should i go for the dungarees style/type pants?

Not too interested in inner liners, as the rain gear goes over the existing gear.
Pants needs to go over the boots without strugelling.
Do not want to be fighting with the gear in the rain (mood in the rain is poor enough).

Thanks in advance to all.

KTMEir

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Look at army/raf gortex. Its designed for going over regular uniform. I use the army stuff, cheap, strong, easy to get on quickly and properly waterproof. It fits over my alpinestars textiles and boots. It also rolls up small. Either that or spunk a load on bike specific gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look at army/raf gortex. Its designed for going over regular uniform. I use the army stuff, cheap, strong, easy to get on quickly and properly waterproof. It fits over my alpinestars textiles and boots. It also rolls up small. Either that or spunk a load on bike specific gear.
Thanks for you info, i will look into that.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Best waterproofs I've bought are the Richa Rain Warrior, from Sportsbikeshop. I ride year round, in all weathers, and I would definitely consider them. 50 quid for the set. And the best 50 quid I've ever spent I think. And they're not the thin shitty waterproofs you can buy. Good quality stuff.
I've also had the ex-RAF goretex, and they were 50 quid for a set. They were very good too. My only problem with them is they were RAF blue.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I use waterproof suits that fit over existing gear as I have tried a lot of expensive suits and have found none of them to be waterproof. To be fair I have not tried the latest lightweight laminate suits as I have given up on expensive bike gear. Instead I now buy comfortable non-waterproof clothing and carry the waterproofs.
My original waterproofs were Hein Gericke one piece and whilst they were 100% waterproof they were not very breathable and pretty shit to wear to be honest so I changed them for a pair of one piece Alpinestars El Nino. These are a fantastic set of waterproofs, 100% dry in some pretty awful down pours and no 'boil-in-the-bag' feature however they were a little awkward to get on and off. After a couple of tours I changed these to the two piece Apinestars Quick-Seal waterproofs, much lighter and much easier to get on but slightly less breathable and not as waterproof as the El Nino. I have used the Quick Seal for a couple of years but I bought a set of the Scott 2-piece waterproofs last month and I will try them to see how they go. I have high hopes as they are rated by everybody.
A quick tip for you as well, carry a couple of carrier bags in your waterproof bag to put over your boots as it makes sliding the trousers on much easier.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I’ll second the richa 2 piece , the jacket is the best I’ve ever had , nice tall soft collar and elasticated so no flapping . They are sized generously to fit over your gear so just buy your regular size .
i rode almost e days solid in the rain this summer across France , I was never damp or uncomfortable . It packs away into. 5 litre kit bag easily as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Helly Hansen waterproofs, the ones I use are what sea fishermen wear, they are 100% waterproof, flexible, comfortable and not too expensive. I got the jacket and trousers off flea bay for about £50.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I use Helly Hansen waterproofs, the ones I use are what sea fishermen wear, they are 100% waterproof, flexible, comfortable and not too expensive. I got the jacket and trousers off flea bay for about £50.
Surely there has to be some value in not looking like a Nigerian refugee on your bike?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use waterproof suits that fit over existing gear as I have tried a lot of expensive suits and have found none of them to be waterproof. To be fair I have not tried the latest lightweight laminate suits as I have given up on expensive bike gear. Instead I now buy comfortable non-waterproof clothing and carry the waterproofs.
My original waterproofs were Hein Gericke one piece and whilst they were 100% waterproof they were not very breathable and pretty shit to wear to be honest so I changed them for a pair of one piece Alpinestars El Nino. These are a fantastic set of waterproofs, 100% dry in some pretty awful down pours and no 'boil-in-the-bag' feature however they were a little awkward to get on and off. After a couple of tours I changed these to the two piece Apinestars Quick-Seal waterproofs, much lighter and much easier to get on but slightly less breathable and not as waterproof as the El Nino. I have used the Quick Seal for a couple of years but I bought a set of the Scott 2-piece waterproofs last month and I will try them to see how they go. I have high hopes as they are rated by everybody.
A quick tip for you as well, carry a couple of carrier bags in your waterproof bag to put over your boots as it makes sliding the trousers on much easier.

thanks for the info, i will check out the brands you mentioned.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I have a large El nino for sale and an XL quick lock 2-piece for sale if anyone is interested.
Both Alpinestars both £40 each including postage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts