KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Being a novice to the 2 stroke dirtbike world, I'm asking for you veterans out there to recommend to me a basic setup for running a 2t, regarding tools and equipment. 馃憤

I'm guessing first port-of-call would be a mixing bottle/jug, followed by air filter cleaning/re-oiling fluids? 馃

Registered
5 litres of Exol Optima 2t oil.
Putoline Action Fluid Air Filter cleaning kit.

Registered
As you've said plus:

A manual with jetting specs
A 6mm socket to change the main jet
A little screwdriver for the pilot and the air screw
A wheelbarrow for your magnificent bollocks
A big stick for beating away the scores of women that cannot resist a 2 stroke rider
A disdain for anyone that rides a 4 stroke

Braaapaady braap Dee braap.. ring ding..

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Already got those items, except for the jetting specs.....馃槀

Registered
How about a candle. I'm a 4 stroke kinda guy, but there is something about the smell of your little moped engines that stirs the soul!

Registered
No idea. All I know is you won鈥檛 find a better priced 2t oil that still works like it needs to.
Plenty use optima and are very happy.

I鈥檓 currently working through a load of Liqui Moly 2t oil. I don鈥檛 know the cost but it seems pretty darn good stuff. Piston change soon so then I鈥檒l be able to compare to pistons run on different oils.

Registered
+1 Exol optima.

Exhaust bung
a handful of spare front pipe O rings
Other than that not allot different
Some people makeup a drain funnel for the g-box oil as it's just above frame rail but i don't bother.

I stick with the proper Motorex gearbox oil (or Putoline when not in stock) & most people run the gearbox oil level slightly lower than recommended to prevent clutch drag (250 / 300 exc's)

Registered
I鈥檓 currently working through a load of Liqui Moly 2t oil.
Pindie, what's spooge like with Liqui Moly? My Beta 200RR is pissing unburnt Exol out the back like black rain. It may be the oil injection going haywire or the Beta doesn't like the 140C flash point.

Premium Member
All of the above +

Some silencer packing. Spark plugs. A mapp gas torch for burning out the pipe.

Castrol power 1 10w 50 for gearbox and castrol power 1 2t oil most of the time here but any full synth oil at right spec will do the job.

Registered
Pindie, what's spooge like with Liqui Moly? My Beta 200RR is pissing unburnt Exol out the back like black rain. It may be the oil injection going haywire or the Beta doesn't like the 140C flash point.
Spooge in my experience is a jetting and throttle region imbalance and not down to oil amount. Are you still on stock jetting and needle?

My current 150 jetting is more suited to faster H&H races and the Liqui moly is clean, no mess. Where I鈥檝e been using it on trialsy stuff and a cold pipe it鈥檚 pretty rich. Gives great torque though on climbs. I鈥檒l get spooge if creeping about on 1/4 throttle though as I鈥檓 half a clip richer than I really need. This means as I go from 1/4 to half throttle I鈥檓 using the rich region but without the heat/speed to stay clean. It鈥檚 not messy though. Just a minor line.

Registered
I've been progessively leaning off the pilot circuit as it would start from cold without the choke. Down from a 45 to a 38 pilot and swapped to a NECJ needle in the centre clip position.

It has had really bad spooge since new, the worst I've ever had and it keeps getting worse. Out of the head, joint between exhaust and silencer and the silencer itself. I did a 10 minute road ride the other morning and the back end of the bike was plastered including the wheel, brake disk and swing arm. I need to run through the oil pump flow test and calibrate the TPS but it's a long winded manual process. I may have to swap to pre-mix for a while to check.

Premium Member
Is the oil tank emptying quicker? Mateys xtrainer seems to use a minimal amount of oil, almost to the extent that it looks like something is wrong!

Registered
I did a very rough calculation on oil use and it worked out at 44:1 over a day's riding. My mate's TPI works out at about 105:1. I tend to ride more on the bottom end torque so you would expect the oiling rate to be more economical at lower revs than at WOT. I would normally use Exol at 50:1 as premix.

I don't know how you would expect the engine to deal with the 2T oil when it's delivered neat rather than dissolved in the petrol. Is it less likely to be burned off, especially if the flash point is higher?

Registered
My money's on a fault in the oiling circuit, either a wonky pump or the TPS out of calibration. There is also a fail over mode that puts the pump into constant full volume delivery.

Registered
The road ride could have dragged all old residual shit in the pipe through. Worth doing a fast hard ragging ride till it stops.

As far as I鈥檓 aware, when pre mix goes into the cases the mixed in oil drops out of suspension with the fuel mix and are being separated. The oil then ends up where it鈥檚 needed- bottom end. Obviously some oil migrates elsewhere around the motor. Oil pumps just drip it in. It still goes where required.

It鈥檚 not impossible that you could be slightly lean on pilot or diameter (J) of the needle. You are then unwittingly opening the throttle to get to the clip region or even main for more fuel where it鈥檚 simply to rich to quick for the engine speed and load, you are then having unburnt fuel go straight through and creating the mess. The various circuits need to be progressive and for your use. You shouldn鈥檛 have an imbalance. If it were a graph it鈥檇 be a smooth increasing line. No dips or peaks.

Have you tried marking the throttle at 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 so you can see exactly what throttle rotation you are at and when? Tippex is handy for this.

Do you have any laziness in motor pick up? Any gurgle/stutter?

Different motor but the NEDW needle was my favourite in Ktm 200. NECJ was great to start with but under fuelled once I started to get used to the 200. Also try open the pv adjuster a 1/4 at a time. It might simply be held back mechanically. My 150 is like this. The perfect pv setting for technical riding makes spooge on the same jet spec. Open it a bit for more power and there鈥檚 no spooge but you get wheelspin easier. Getting this right can be frustrating!

Registered
Thanks all. I'll start with the oil pump flow test and TPS calibration to rule the oiling circuit in or out and go from there. No point chasing jetting if it's just over oiling.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts