KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Is the oil tank emptying quicker? Mateys xtrainer seems to use a minimal amount of oil, almost to the extent that it looks like something is wrong!
Three of us have x trainers and they all sip oil did make me nervous when I got mine ..they all seem fine do a fair bit of slow riding on them so that probably makes a big difference

·
Registered
567 Posts
I ran through the oil pump volume tests today. In short, you pull the oil delivery pipe and fit a length of 4mm carb breather pipe on the end. At tickover, it should take 90 secs for the oil to advance 25mm. At high revs that should reduce to 60 secs.

All good at tickover on mine but as soon as you open the throttle at all it took 14 seconds!

Spoke to Beta UK and it could either be the pump or the ECU as the ECU provides the power pulses to fire the pump. Replacement pump in the post under warranty and a ECU will follow if that doesn't fix it.

No quibbles from Beta UK, even got an unprompted apology for the inconvenience!! KTM UK take note!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nah, need something to keep me out of mischief now I've retired. Mind you, our postman's a very fit blonde lady in her 20s so I shall look forward to the pump arriving!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
You can’t pump the postbabe!

Great news on Betas response.

·
Registered
567 Posts
On the proper subject of the thread, get a stock of the green nitrile o-rings that seal the exhaust header into the cylinder. The pipe takes 2 and they soon shrink enough for the seal to deteriorate. Proactionsport.co.uk is a supporter of this forum and will give a retrospective discount to members. Drop him a message when you order and he will refund your discount.
KTM Exhaust O Rings

When you come to repack the silencer, look out for Acousta-Fil filling material. UK made matting that expands when it gets hot and fills the silencer evenly. Just buy it in a width that matches your silencer length. You only need about 60% of the silencer volume as it is compressed and held by thread that melts and allows the matting to expand.
Acousta Fil Zt1 | Exhaust Silencer Packing | Temperature Textiles
You'll find it cheapest on eBay.

·
Registered
567 Posts
New oil pump today but no change to the issue. I have rigged up a circuit to measure the number of pulses sent by the ECU to the oil pump. It shows that the rate rises from 1 pulse every 2 seconds at tickover to 4-5 pulses per second as soon as you twist the throttle. According to Dellorto's tech spec, that gives you 100cc of oil per hour at 4 pulses per second!

Looks like either it's new ECU time or I need to learn to ride fast enough to use 5 litres of fuel per hour!

I don't suppose anyone knows what the oil pump pulse rate is on the TPIs? They seem to run at very low oiling rates.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
You’ve probably just started a whole new thing there! Measuring oil pump flow will become the new jetting threads.?

Reactions: ktm808

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's similar to your thread about the kickstarter kit cost except that I'll probably end up removing expensive extras that don't work! You can also pay more for the Race Edition that doesn't have the oil injection in the 1st place!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I’d happily pay more for the KYB suspension and they can keep the oil pump!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I thought that too before I put some proper oil in the Sachs forks. They are the best "out of the box" forks I've had. The KYBs on the REs are too hard unless you're racing hard.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
New oil pump today but no change to the issue. I have rigged up a circuit to measure the number of pulses sent by the ECU to the oil pump. It shows that the rate rises from 1 pulse every 2 seconds at tickover to 4-5 pulses per second as soon as you twist the throttle. According to Dellorto's tech spec, that gives you 100cc of oil per hour at 4 pulses per second!

Looks like either it's new ECU time or I need to learn to ride fast enough to use 5 litres of fuel per hour!

I don't suppose anyone knows what the oil pump pulse rate is on the TPIs? They seem to run at very low oiling rates.
What? This is a smoker thread! God bless the carb I say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I thought that too before I put some proper oil in the Sachs forks. They are the best "out of the box" forks I've had. The KYBs on the REs are too hard unless you're racing hard.
They are but only because for Europe they come through technical touch who set them firm for fast sand. Only Yamaha’s have a reasonable setting. Easily fixed though, then superb.

Reactions: RudulfHucker

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I couldn't start to list what we have in the workshop, got so much for the 125s. Fook knows what I'm going to do with it all when he stops racing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks everyone for your input! Just bought some Exol Optima oil and now looking for a new air filter (until I make a list of the bits you've recommended). Currently got a used HiFlo in there but looking at Twin Air for spares. Would you say Twin Air is one of the best oe-style filters?

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you are ordering exhaust O rings from proactionsport.com, he also has HiFlo filters. Not much wrong with those, it's all about cleaning regularly and oiling well. If you are ordering OEM spares, go to Eurotek for a 15% forum discount.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts