KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today i set out to get my jetting done, it has been a 170 main and which i thought to have been to rich, so i fitted a 45 and 165. it didnt seem to rev out as much so i put the 170 back in, helped a bit. it has been spooging a bit and there is black spots on the plastics to the side of the exhaust. does this seem to rich or is the 45 and 170 fine.
as im from scotland im close to the sea and is cold therefore a bigger jet is needed, but everyone said the ktm standard jetting is rich. any body that has a 2 stroke 250 can they list there jetting specs and altitude please.
also my question is how much will a 2 stroke rev out ?
cheers

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You tried repacking the silencer? Could well be it's full of spooge. Also, if the bike has been bimbled around a bit then it will some some thrashing to clear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cheers , well im going out to get it cleared out tomorrow.

it does not bwaaaa when i snap the throttle so the pilot jet is fine.
but how far will they rev out ?

and also please post your jetting specs.
cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2007 250 2T, my jets are as below, I believe thats fairly standard although I think the bike is too rich as if I'm bimbling the bike is like its on choke & when I open it up it takes a little while to clear, also on a recent Trail riding weekend on the Isle of Man my bike used 50% more fuel than every one else!
I have since moved the Needle clip to the 3rd groove but am yet to try it!
I may also try a different brand of 2T oil & try different 2T mixtures as currently I'm running 50:1

Air Screw - 1.5 turns out
Idle Jet - 35
Needle - N8RH
Clip position - 4th down from top
Main Jet - 160

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mines seem to guzzle the fuel aswell.
i cant really compare my bike to yours as my carb is a 38mm and yours a 36mm so there different.
any one else ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as i know its safe to run rich without fould plugs, but if im not always raping the bike and lugging round, when i take the plug out what colour should it be.

am gona move the needle up to richen it a bit and use mostly ktm basic jettings apart from the 45 pilot

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is this a good thing or a bad thing?
when i let the bike idle for about 5 mins and check the brand new plug theres not much oil and the top is dark brown. also is if i rev the bike and cut it out its brown
is this a good thing when its brown at idle as i know it is WOT
is the plug meant to be brown right through
cheers

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You can't just rev the bike and cut it out. If you want to check the plug properly for colour at WOT, you need to do a plug chop - accelerate in gear (3rd or something) at WOT, then hit the kill switch and shut off throttle. Then remove the plug and check it. That's the only way to check colour when WOT and under load. Personally though, I've never done this myself. Only time I check plug colour is when I change the plug. I just stick with the KTM recommended jetting that they detail in the manual, and all is good. Bit of spooge but not loads, starts and runs really well. Biggest tuning most of time is tweak of air screw.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Are KTMs jetting specs in the book accurate i,v got a 2009 300exc and just running std jetting just wanted to check! Bike seems to run fine but restarting after being left for one week is a nightmare!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts