KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:burnout: does any 1 no what way 2 turn the adjuster to make it kick in sooner and stronger and if i have been adjusting the right thing? its a big screw off cap on the right hand side of the bike with a with a cooper washer??? please help me out if you can as im going down the cardiff track tomorow and need it set up thanks .........../>????????/ the cap is about the size of a 2 pound coin

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Lifted this from another site, not sure if it's the same procedure on your 2000 model, I think it is,

"125/200 Power valve adjust:
This system is a screw adjustment, no springs like the 250-300.
On the right side of the motor on the clutch case area there is a large aluminum nut. Under this is the adjuster. Remove the large nut, loosen the 8mm head lock nut at the 4 oclock position. There is a large flat sided adjuster under the large alum nut, it should turn by hand. This is what you turn to adjust the power valve opening. It turns about 3 full turns. Do not turn the adjuster to hard once it bottoms out as the balls inside can become stuck if you bottom it hard. Dont loose the large copper sealing washer or the piece of rubber in the lock bolt hole at 4 oclock.

Many will just set it to the "Langston" setting and go. Find that on Transworld MX web site as well as another description of how to do this. Also found there is a part that wears in the system, called the control lever, and will make the bike run real bad like ignition or carb trouble. I chased this for one year before I found it was this part going bad.

The way I do the adjustment is by feel of the "hit". First warm the bike up completely by riding it for 5-10 min. Then remove the parts described above. Turn the adjuster one turn in any direction and then leave the nut cover off and ride the bike. You should be able to feel the difference from where it was set before you changed it if you just rode it for a few minutes like I suggested. As long as there is no water, mud, excessive dust it wont hurt anything to ride it for a minute with the cover off.

Now stop the bike and turn the adjuster one full turn back the other way from where it was originally. Now ride it again and you will have just ridden it with three different settings. This will give you a late opening, an early opening and somewhere in the middle.

Now that you have felt what the adjuster can do go back to whatever opening you liked the best and now adjust it in half turns to fine tune it to where you like it. Some like to just set it to the "Langston" setting and ride. Thats Ok, but I like it a little lower/earlier.

Now to clarify what you are trying to "feel". The hit is just as the bike comes on the pipe, spins the wheel, wheelies or some wording that you will understand. You dont have to ride the bike far to test this, only 100' or so in one gear and feel the hit. Maybe shift gears from 2-3 or 3-4 to feel the hit, not X country riding. Once you have it where you think it should be then put it all back together and then go for a ride to see if it is what you want."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks very much mate thats very helpful. 1 more thing tho you know the 8 mm nut in the middle is that ment to be tight when the cap goes on ?
because when i took it off it was quite loose should i tighten this up???

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
"125/200 Power valve adjust:
This system is a screw adjustment, no springs like the 250-300.
On the right side of the motor on the clutch case area there is a large aluminum nut. Under this is the adjuster. Remove the large nut, loosen the 8mm head lock nut at the 4 oclock position. There is a large flat sided adjuster under the large alum nut, it should turn by hand. This is what you turn to adjust the power valve opening. It turns about 3 full turns. Do not turn the adjuster to hard once it bottoms out as the balls inside can become stuck if you bottom it hard. Dont loose the large copper sealing washer or the piece of rubber in the lock bolt hole at 4 oclock.
Is it this nut your talking about? Reckon it should be nipped up.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Is it this one you mean, if it's this one I think it should be tight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts