KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought a 2001 520 EXC, just taking her to bits to check things out as she has been stored for a long time, striped the carb, to check jetting, in the manual it states jet needle
520 EXC RACING (12.5)Kw - OBDVR(OBDTM)
520 MXC/EXC RACING - OBDTM

which should it be as it has the OBDVR needle in it ! - IS MY BIKE RESTRICTED TO 12.5 KW ??????? I am confused please can some one help
has anyone re-jetted one of these ? only modification I am about to make is to replace the stock silence with a DEP silencer

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
DVR on 7th position from top, 170 main, 48 pilot will be OK

I settled on EMN needle, 3rd clip from top, 162 main, 48 pilot. Set the accelerator pump to give a 1 second squirt, making sure it misses the throttle plate.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I might need to get involved in this thread. Just bought a 525 and it's an absolute pig. Had 1 needle in it and another spare, neither of which were the originals . All the jets are as expected though. The bike's got one of the 5 sided KTM cans on it... would this mean the carb would have to be tuned up to accomodate the new can?

Other than the can (which looks real nice, just like an akro) I'm intending to put it all back to the way it was when it came out the factory (I'm fairly sure that a standard 525 would be plenty of power for my hobbyist use).

Will stick the needle details on when I get a look at them in the daylight tomorrow in case anyone's interested in them. I could fill a whole page on the "what did you do to your KTM today" thread.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Standard jetting is awful when they leave the factory. They are set up to pass emission and noise tests, not to be ridden.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just checked my "spare" needle it's a OBDTM. According to the manual my 2005 525exc should be running with a OBDTR i think? Can you fill me in on how to set up the OBDTM?? Other than that all jets are as stated in manual.

As said previously I'm not a racer, just a hobbyist supersquigglymoto rider.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again, put in the 170 main, needle clip on 7th, not had chance to run it yet, still got it striped down, any advice on the mixture screw if I remember the standard is 2 1/2 turns mine was set to 1 1/2 turns out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi kevinyorks, thanks for the info on the jetting, not had it running yet been too busy at work but I'll keep everyone posted, Do you work at Eurotek ? I ask because I was up there last week to get some bits and I have ordered some more parts over the phone yesterday.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Hi kevinyorks, thanks for the info on the jetting, not had it running yet been too busy at work but I'll keep everyone posted, Do you work at Eurotek ? I ask because I was up there last week to get some bits and I have ordered some more parts over the phone yesterday.
I dont work there, but I am in quite often ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you the one that makes the secret kill switch that they sell at eurotek, like the one I got from them ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
i got a 01 520exc. had std jetting and was average, but pretty good. i just put a jd needle in it and 172 main, fuel screw 2 3/4 turns out and it is much crisper. i then got a new diaphragm with a longer rivet so shorter squirt and removed the carb closing cable. it is nice and snappy off the bottom and the throttle action is lighter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts