KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had the pleasure of renewing their timing chain ? I would appreciate a brief run through if at all possible, rads off, valve covers off, alternator cover and crankshaft main nut removed looks like a puller job for flywheel as far as I have got. RSVP

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it good advice though? Anything else that would help me out..Thanks Scriberman...

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've just done this job on my mates 02 400. Tappett adjuster nut came off and got itself wedged between chain and cam sprock, bent a couple of the side plates on the chain , so we changed it for a nice new one.
Exactly as said above. When you come to put it back together, I'd put new water pump seals in while you're there. Disturbing them seems to upset them. And the centre retaining bolt in the rocker cover needs to be fitted in its hole before you put the cover in place - theres no room under the frame rail to get it in once its fitted. Apart from that its pretty simple.

And dont forget to tighten the lock nuts when you set the valve clearances!!!!

I've got a great picture of the offending nut, but I'm not allowed to post pictures for some reason. Anyone help?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've got a great picture of the offending nut, but I'm not allowed to post pictures for some reason. Anyone help?
You can upload your picture to 'photobucket' (or similar host) then copy the 'IMG code' and paste it into your reply

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are all single row cam chains the same pitch and width ? Have'nt got a KTM dealer over here but we got yam,suzuki, honda, triumph . Would instant gasket type sealant do for valve cover and and flywheel case ?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dont know about the cam chain, I'm someone who does will be along shortly. The rocker cover has no gasket, just a thin film of instant stuff is all it gets. You dont need to remove the flywheel cover. I turned the motor to pull the chain through with the front sprocket nut.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whats the chances of that happening!!!! nice pic...thanks for the advice MONTY, ill pass it on..regarding the chain, he's going to get one off Trevor Pope..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts