KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, some background on the bike. Bought it from some guy who converted it to a supermoto with the 6 speed and some other stuff. He had the starter already installed on the bike but didn’t have the gears inside the clutch cover. I ordered the gears and just got them installed. I got a battery from one of my other bikes and charged it to make sure it was fully charged. I also took a starter relay from another bike just to test the starter. I activated the starter and it seemed to be very slow, or would only go through only one rotation. Kept doing this for a while and the wires would get a little warm so I was confused on what was wrong.

I then opened up the clutch case again and took everything out until it was just the starter. Kept adding gears until it started to slow down. It was all fine until I connected the crank bolts. Does anyone have any idea on what it could be??

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by crank bolts. But the problem might inside the piece called the free wheel.
It's fairly common for the garter spring to fail, First signs are the starter failing to engage properly or slipping, (horrible noise) Defo worth a look in there. You might need a puller & heat to remove it if its still tight on the crank.
Clutch basket needs come off too to access the free wheel if I remember right.

·
Registered
678 Posts
also reads like something is getting squashed when you tighten the "crank bolts", i.e. something has added resistance.
have the manual at hand? give that a read wrt starter assembly, perhaps something simple like "other" cover gasket...
as Jigger said: check the freewheel if that can move freely in one direction and locks up on the crank when turning the other direction. should be free to move in 1 direction only!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also reads like something is getting squashed when you tighten the "crank bolts", i.e. something has added resistance.
have the manual at hand? give that a read wrt starter assembly, perhaps something simple like "other" cover gasket...
as Jigger said: check the freewheel if that can move freely in one direction and locks up on the crank when turning the other direction. should be free to move in 1 direction only!
The freewhee works correctly as it only spins in one direction. When the battery is fully charged it will spin a couple of time and slowly turn slower. I’ve seen a lot of people online call the starter a re-starter, saying that it only starts the bike when it’s warm. Might be might case that I’m having, but I would just think it would be able to start the bike when it’s already warm. I’m gonna try to start the bike and let it warm up then see if it will restart with the starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well turns out the starter was bad, all burnt up. Got a new one but ran into an issue of it having a hard time to start. Got it to start after 10 mins of turning it while giving it some gas. Not sure what could be wrong right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts