KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First real failure in 8 years, New battery, starter button works, solenoid clicks across, 12 Volts arrives at starter motor, but doesn't turn it over, gave starter motor a sharp technical tap with a Knockometer as suggested elsewhere on the forum and it turned over but very sluggishly slow as if battery is flat, but its not as it measures (13.20 Volts).
I have checked the battery connections/Solenoid connections/Earths and they are all mint and as new so I may pull the starter off and check it, any tips on how to check the starter motor and sprag clutch when its off anyone ?
Strange thing is, it was fine yesterday, any ideas really appreciated ?

THE FINAL FIX ANSWER Thanks for all the help Guys, the starter motor is easily rebuildable and all that was the matter was a stuck brush !!! one brush was free to move in and out on the spring, the other was stuck in the holder and virtually unworn, a quick squirt of WD and an exercise of the spring we are back in business, starting first time every time, and the motor is spinning over much quicker too !!!
Kind Regards
Totty

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have been having similar problems with my 05 lc4 duke II

i replaced the battery with a yuassa yzs10s ( number might be wrong)

it helped however still sometimes nothing when i pressed the start button

so i took off the starter motor and opened it up, the brushes were alittle worn, so i just cleaned them and put back together, and still had some issues with starting sometimes it fired and others it did not

so since i have worked out that if i press the start button with the compression lever pulled in and slowly slip it, like for two seconfs, it fires right up

i will say it would not do this before i cleaned the startmotor up.

i went to a ktm dealer the other day and booked it in for a service (8000miles) and mentioned to him, he said he will look but he mentioned some of them are bitches to start and have to find your own way of starting it

am looking at a company in essex to get replacement brushes made

·
Registered
47 Posts
MY 640 the auto decompression has never worked so i always have to start it using the lever... none of my mates can start it quite amusing really lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys, and keep me informed/count me in if you get brushes sorted, usually its cheaper for several sets.
My bike has been pretty much 100% at starting on the button as it was yesterday !! so why not today ? weird that I get zilch today

·
Registered
341 Posts
You might want to take a look a this page as this seems to be your problem and is a easy fix i have fixed my starter clutch quite a few times with this tutorial.

LC4 640 starter clutch fix - ADVrider

Also you might want to check out this whole page of different threads as this has helped me out no end in the past with problems on my bike.

KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index - ADVrider

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had similar problems with mine-you can check if it's starter by firstly checking with a meter if there's power getting to it. If there is, get a mate to hold the starter button in while you give the starter motor a tap with anything you have to hand. If it fires up when you tap it, it's the starter motor. I took mine apart, and some crap and debris fell out. The brushes were a bit worn, but I cleaned it all and reassembled, and it's been fine since. The brushes are available with the plate for £30ish, either from the States, or from quadbike firms, search for Mitsuba SM13.

·
Registered
77 Posts
my starter motor seemed to be sticking after having it off the bike and on to a new motor, clutch in, gave it a kick start and hit the button at the same time hey presto, aint missed a beat since

·
Registered
1 Posts
Intermittant Starter Motor LC4 400 would start sometimes. checked solenoid (bridging main terminals) then jumper lead to starter positive terminal. With a kick start the starter would kick in - signifying weak or worn brush contact. took off (easy as two bolts wriggle out) cleaned brushholders with conctact cleaner. reassemble - solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts