KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 660 SMC for last 10 years. Great fun bike for hooning around on, always enjoy riding it. I am considering selling it to buy a 690 but never ridden one. If anyone has experience of both bikes I would be interested to hear opinions. Is the 690 as much fun as the 660? I know it's got more power, but also more weight, is there much difference in performance? Is it as raw and fun or is it refined and civilised in comparison? Which is the more exciting/fun to ride? Not a great lover of electonic gizmos to be honest, I have a 765 RS Street Triple but keep it in track mode all the time as more fun without electronic intervention when you want to hoick the front wheel up. Do the electronics spoil the fun factor on the 690 or can it all be turned off?
Advice please guys?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And there you have it.... A nice balance of opinion....!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Well thats that sorted then. Thanks for your input gentlemen although I must say I was hoping for a little more of an in depth analysis of the issues.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Honestly. I'd keep the 660. I had one... Bonkers bit of kit... But I'm getting old. I like stuff I can repair and look after.... New stuff is a lot more muted and controlled.....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
Keep the 660 if you have legs like Lou Ferigno and a relaxed demeanour

Buy the 690 if you believe the year is 2021

·
Administrator
9,303 Posts
Go for the new one. The new bike technology will make the 660 feel like a dinosaur. More power, better suspension, better brakes, better looking, better handling. And despite your lack of enthusiasm for the electronics they don't detract from the overall experience and can be largely switched off.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've had the 640 (2001) and have a 690 (2019).
When the 640 worked, it was a great bike, and thoroughly enjoyed riding it. Fantastic exhaust sound, and pretty quick. Manual says 105 I think, but you need your fillings replaced over 90mph.
The 690 is leagues ahead by comparison. The exhaust sound isn't as good, even with an aftermarket, I put this down to Euro regulations, some may disagree. Performance wise there's no comparison, 690 out performs the 640 in every department. Ridiculously easy to wheelie and keeps a smile on your face.
I still prefer the style of the 640, but I'll never go backwards from the 690. Superior in every other way.

You can turn off the TC and ABS off the 690.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had the 640 (2001) and have a 690 (2019).
When the 640 worked, it was a great bike, and thoroughly enjoyed riding it. Fantastic exhaust sound, and pretty quick. Manual says 105 I think, but you need your fillings replaced over 90mph.
The 690 is leagues ahead by comparison. The exhaust sound isn't as good, even with an aftermarket, I put this down to Euro regulations, some may disagree. Performance wise there's no comparison, 690 out performs the 640 in every department. Ridiculously easy to wheelie and keeps a smile on your face.
I still prefer the style of the 640, but I'll never go backwards from the 690. Superior in every other way.

You can turn off the TC and ABS off the 690.
Thats great. Thanks for your advice. Maybe it's time.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sadly, not rich enough to do that. Will need to sell the 660 to purchase a 690. Got too many bikes as it is.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I had a well sorted ex brackens cup 660smc from 2007 until 2011. It had a bit done to the motor from HM racing plus the IIS programmable ignition, STM slipper clutch & dep quickshifter & full akra.
Was a great bike but when my mate got the first 690smc in 2008 we put both to the test and was very similar with his stock bike and my tuned 660.
The 660smc felt more raw power compared to the 690smc but at the same time the 660 was vibey and always producing a new noise to pull over and check 🤣
I’d say the newer 690smc will be a better overall bike and be better on the service intervals. If you are just on a Sunday blast 100miles total I’d choose the 660smc. If you want for a daily use and longer miles definitely 690smc for me.
Or get a husaberg 570, like a exc handling and power & reliability of the 690 😎

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a well sorted ex brackens cup 660smc from 2007 until 2011. It had a bit done to the motor from HM racing plus the IIS programmable ignition, STM slipper clutch & dep quickshifter & full akra.
Was a great bike but when my mate got the first 690smc in 2008 we put both to the test and was very similar with his stock bike and my tuned 660.
The 660smc felt more raw power compared to the 690smc but at the same time the 660 was vibey and always producing a new noise to pull over and check 🤣
I’d say the newer 690smc will be a better overall bike and be better on the service intervals. If you are just on a Sunday blast 100miles total I’d choose the 660smc. If you want for a daily use and longer miles definitely 690smc for me.
Or get a husaberg 570, like a exc handling and power & reliability of the 690 😎
Thanks for your input. Never going to use it for much more than Sunday blasting really so on that basis maybe I should stick with it? I have other bike for any longer distance stuff. Maybe just retain it as a play thing which is all it is really.
Hmm....

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thanks for your input. Never going to use it for much more than Sunday blasting really so on that basis maybe I should stick with it? I have other bike for any longer distance stuff. Maybe just retain it as a play thing which is all it is really.
Hmm....
Go test ride the 2021 model, see what you think. When I took my 640 to the dealership the KTM guys were all over it :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts