1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again :) Hmmmm I THINK i do it right by the book.... But ...... IF the stator are defective........Can that be the problem ?

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Check valve clearances

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah.. So i heard LOL,,,, BUT,i checked my stator,and that looked like this IMG_20191027_152227.jpg Or if the picture not shows, one of the connection points was totally black/obiesly burned......I guess that the stator failure,not does the starting of the bike easier,since the power distrubiton to the cdi ?

·
Registered
355 Posts
just had a look into the manual again in the electrical section, it says this about the 4K-3 generator (translated from the table):
at 20 degrees Celsius, the resistance between the following wires should be as follows:
pulser coil (red - green): 100ohm ±20%
stator (black/red - red/white): 12.7ohm ±20%
charging coil (ground - yellow): 0.65ohm ±20%
charging coil (white - yellow): 0.16ohm ±20%

if you have the '98-2003 400-660LC4 repair manual, look at page 7-48D and 7-50D they are checks for the ignition and charging of the 4K-3 system.
I can't upload the separate pages otherwise drop me your email and I can send you the manual by wetransfer, if its not already available on here somewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not 100% sure,but i think my stator are a kokusan 4k2 generator.... It is only two leads VAC to rectifier...And two leads going directly to the CDI

·
Registered
355 Posts
from the picture you posted I found the same picture in the manual under 4k-3 and the table underneath that picture is what I put up here.
I can check again later this afternoon for the 4K2 and the corresponding table.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to the part list,you are right... It is supposed to be the 3K unit....Part no: 58339004100.... Can you suggest any raplacement unit for my bike....since the one originally made is not available anymore?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I could give the KTM dealer near me a ring if the stator is available here in NL, or if it is still available by order. expensive tho, €221 but cheaper than the 58639031100 CDI at €328!
according to the online parts search the stator is the same as that of a 2002 625 and 2003/4/5 660. its NOT interchangeable with the stator of the 4K2 (640).

but have you checked the resistances between the wires as mentioned earlier?
I can't see the blackened connection you speak of in the picture other than the slightly black coil, which judging by other pictures on the net are also blackish so perhaps normal?

some more info (kicking >5x)
checking Generator output:
- between yellow and brown (ground), white wire disconnected: 15Vdc ±1V
- between white and brown (ground), yellow wire disconnected: 19Vdc ±1V
- repeat with the wires connected the values should be the same.

checking R/R output voltage (capacitor disconnected!):
- between yellow/red and brown (ground): 14Vdc ±1V

just checked the manual for the 4K2 unit, that's different from the 4K3 unit as it also involves a R/R located above the battery (which you don't have). so that part of the investigation you can rule out.

BTW: the manual does specifically mention to do the measurements whilst cranking it over forcefully at least 5x... you might need an extra pair of hands or strong legs whilst doing the measuring exercise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL....Yes... I guess so :) I have actually meassured the ohm in the stator output (disconnected) And the readings seems ok...But when i ohm between the isolated wires on the stator to ground i got full contact...Is that right? And for the blackish coil.....it really looks like it has mellted something around it, but im starting to wonder,since the meassurement so far seems right.. But i will assemble the parts and start up,to meassuree your volt description

1 - 14 of 14 Posts