KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 06 950 SM at the beginning of the year, had a major service done by a friend of mine who is a KTM tech, he couldn't have been more jealous of the condition the bike is it, it's mint.

I've never had more fun on a bike, a friend has an 1100 hypermotard and this 950 is way more fun than that!

But, a few weeks ago on a long ride I noticed that the power that was typically there had just vanished...this thing can't even pull up on one wheel anymore in second (and i'm -1 in the front, 2 up in the back) it used to be a quick chop and I was laughing all the way down the street at the easy of wheelies.

It just seems to run slightly rougher...there's still a good amount of pull form the engine but that immediate torque when I crack the throttle is gone. The top end is also severely limited, I can get to maybe 160-170 km/h, when 200-210 was a blink of an eye before hand. In short, the scariness that I love about it is gone.

I did a little research, found that fuel points can be the issue, I did inspect mine they didn't look great so I ordered a points kit and replaced it.

Also cleaned the fuel filters on both petcocks, and inspected the carb diaphragms - there are no cracks there.

After that I took the bike out, and it ran slightly smoother but still the power has vanished. There are no other symptoms, no clutch slippage, the bike turns over normally.

I'm not quite sure what else this could be, does anyone have any thoughts? Would love to try and problem solve this before I send it to a tech.

Cheers

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hello & welcome

How many miles has it done.....if all the fueling is correct, I was thinking it may be down on compression.....worn piston rings?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fuel pressure’s good? The pumps are notorious for failing - and not in an “oh it’s completely dead” way, more like it’ll run for a bit and then die and then two seconds later start up again. They use a mechanical interrupter switch which is rubbish (think this is the fuelling points bit in your post?). You can swap for a facet or there is a really good kit to convert them to an electronic switch.

Has the fuel gone off in any way? Mine was a right pain for its jets becoming blocked with goo from the tank. Does it idle properly or do you have to use a tiny bit of choke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel definitely hasn’t gone off, the bike has been running great all summer.

it’s roughly at 34,000 miles.

I’ve run some Seafoam through it to see if that would burn off anything in the carbs/valves but no change in performance.

I am getting a lot of backfiring as soon as I let off accelerating, doesn’t matter what gear, what RPM, so it seems like it’s running lean

I’m not sure how to test the pressure from the fuel pump but it sounds perfect when it primes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fuel definitely hasn’t gone off, the bike has been running great all summer.

it’s roughly at 34,000 miles.

I’ve run some Seafoam through it to see if that would burn off anything in the carbs/valves but no change in performance.

I am getting a lot of backfiring as soon as I let off accelerating, doesn’t matter what gear, what RPM, so it seems like it’s running lean

I’m not sure how to test the pressure from the fuel pump but it sounds perfect when it primes.
If it’s running lean it’s a blocked jet. Take the air box off, unscrew each jet in turn and wire them out. Blow the drillings through with carb cleaner and an air line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions, I’ve reached as far as I feel comfortable working on the bike and unfortunately nothing has fixed the power issue. Handing it off to a friend who is a KTM tech, I will update when the problem is found and fixed just in case anyone wants to reference in the future.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts